History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bogburn Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Coppull, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6065 / 53°36'23"N

Longitude: -2.6656 / 2°39'56"W

OS Eastings: 356055

OS Northings: 412420

OS Grid: SD560124

Mapcode National: GBR 9VTQ.PX

Mapcode Global: WH97K.0MY1

Entry Name: Bogburn Hall

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Last Amended: 21 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204087

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357602

Location: Coppull, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Coppull

Built-Up Area: Coppull

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Coppull St John

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Standish

Listing Text

SD 51 SE COPPULL BOGBURN LANE

8/85 Bogburn Hall
17.4.1967 (Formerly listed as Bogburn Hall
GV II Farmhouse)


Farmhouse, dated 1663. Brick on stone plinth, with stone quoins,
scored render to facade and left return wall, stone slate roof (felted
at rear) with a chimney on the ridge. Two bay baffle-entry plan with
outshut to 1st bay and gabled 2½ storey extension to rear of 2nd bay.
Two storeys; central 2-storey gabled porch which has a chamfered and
slightly arched opening with stone jambs and lintel, and stone side
benches, and an inner studded plank door in wooden case with cyma-stopped
chamfer; above the entrance is a recessed square datestone lettered H
R.A
1663,
and at 1st floor a 2-light sliding sash window; otherwise, all 4 front
windows are altered (early C20 bays at ground floor). Right return wall
has at attic level a square datestone in chamfered stone frame, lettered
in relief H Various windows in rear wall include segmental-headed
:I:·:
1663
stairlight to 1st bay, a 2-light sliding sash to ground floor, and a fixed
attic window with glazing bars. Interior: many original features include
diamond-pattern stone flagged floor, ¼-round moulded beams, inglenook
fireplace with stone heck and very large bressummer, staircase with some
splat balusters, some internal timber framing, batten and board doors with
stop-chamfered cases, smoke hood in attic c. 4 metres square, and 4 roof
trusses with raking struts and collars; both sets of principals survive,
that for the original steeper roof (with housings for purlins) and that
which replaces it. History: home of Haydock family, used for Quaker
meetings in late Cl7. (H.C. Porteus History of Standish; plaque in
chancel of Church of St. John the Divine, q.v.).


Listing NGR: SD5605512420

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.