History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Poles Convent (Fcj)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thundridge, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8289 / 51°49'43"N

Longitude: -0.0406 / 0°2'26"W

OS Eastings: 535120

OS Northings: 216289

OS Grid: TL351162

Mapcode National: GBR KBD.8K1

Mapcode Global: VHGPH.79W9

Entry Name: Poles Convent (Fcj)

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Last Amended: 30 September 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204101

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355998

Location: Thundridge, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Thundridge

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Find accommodation in
Ware

Listing Text

TL 31NR THUNDRIDGE CAMBRIDGE ROAD
(west side)
Thundridge
2/6 Poles Convent (FCJ)
(Formerly listed under
24.1.67 Poles Lane)

II*

Country house, now a convent school. 1890-91 by Ernest George
and Peto, for Edward S Hanbury (Builders: Simpson & Son of
Paddington), short extension to service wing and new stables on
site of older stables 1913 for H H King, became a convent school
1923, tower 3-storeys courtyard linking to stables and new chapel
1934 by Walters for the convent. Red brick with blue brick
diaper, stone mullioned windows and dressings (but moulded oak
windows to the service wing) and red tiled roofs. Later
extensions in red brick and stone dressings in plainer Jacobean
style. Decorative tile-hanging to upper floor of stables. The
stables and convent extensions are all to the N of the main
house, which has a double height Great Hall facing W backing onto
the Dining Room which faces onto the garden (E). Entrance is by
a 2-storeys porch on the W into the Entrance Hall (a screens
passage) which opens into an arched Loggia on the E in the angle
with the service cross-wing on the N end. A semi-octagonal bay
window lights the middle of the Hall and there is a gallery at
the S end reached by an oak stair in a rectangular glazed bay in
the angle with the S crosswing. This has the Morning Room on the
W and the Library on the E, both with stone bay windows. 2-
storeys with additional attics in N service wing, rising to 3-
storeys with moulded wood cornice in teaching courtyard to N
around tall buttressed chapel with gallery over entrance at E
end. Formal entrance front on W with buttressed arched porch,
brick oriel window over and Dutch gable. 2-storeys mullioned and
transomed stone bay windows to the hall and stair S cross-wing
has a sculptured external chimney stack and there is a large
chimney in Renaissance style with pediment and strapwork
cartouche on the S end. The E front has an alternation of semi-
hexagonal bays with shaped gables between. 6-windows long with
large gable end windows in the projecting N crosswing. Arcaded
Loggia with stone arches on stone columns in the angle. '1890'
on lead hopper. More vernacular Arts and Crafts style treatment
of garden front of service wing at N with moulded timber
mullioned windows, door and window linked and corner sleeping
gallery with Jacobean square pillars on upper floor. Stable yard
buildings in matching materials with shaped gables, tilehung
upper floor, and labels to windows. Interior of main house very
ornate and unaltered. Oak panelling and moulded plasterwork in
entrance hall and great hall, elaborate relief plaster friezes in
entrance and great hall. Oak beamed ceiling on stone corbels in
Great Hall. Late C17 classical style panelled Morning Room with
pedimented chimney piece and doorcase and French marble columnar
fireplace enriched with ormolu. Library panelled in mahogony and
rosewood with inlaid rosewood bookcases and large carved rose
marble corbelled chimney piece in early Italian Renaissance
style. Long barrel vaulted plaster ceiling to Dining Room in
strapwork with painted panelling and Jacobean carved chimney
piece with over mantle. In kitchen to N of entrance hall a
simple black marble fireplace with cast iron inset in Japanese
Style by Barnard and Barnard. Original electric light fittings
in main rooms. An unusually complete and unaltered example of a
late C19 small country house. (VCH (1912) 379: Poles Magazine
July 1927 (privately printed)
4 - 5, 27: Pevsner (1977) 372).


Listing NGR: TL3512016289

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.