History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thundridge House and Linked Stable Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Thundridge, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8332 / 51°49'59"N

Longitude: -0.0368 / 0°2'12"W

OS Eastings: 535366

OS Northings: 216773

OS Grid: TL353167

Mapcode National: GBR KBD.3HH

Mapcode Global: VHGPH.96W0

Entry Name: Thundridge House and Linked Stable Block

Listing Date: 30 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 356030

Location: Thundridge, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Thundridge

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Find accommodation in
Ware

Listing Text

TL 31NE THUNDRIDGE POLES LANE
(north side)
Thundridge
2/4 Thundridge House and
linked stable block

II

Vicarage, now a private house. 'Erected in 1855' on stone shield
on N wall. Later C19 short extension on E end. Became a house
c1961. Built for Robert Hanbury, patron of the living after he
had built the new parish church of St Mary in 1853 (q.v.). Red
brick with black brick diaper pattern and stone dressings. Steep
red tile roofs with bands of scalloped tiles (bands of pointed
tiles on the stable block). 2-light and 3-light casement windows
with flush sloping stone sills. Gothic segmental relieving arches
in red and black brick, transomed casements to around floor.
hipped square bay window on S front, and 2 similar bays on the
garden front (N). Balanced asymmetrical Tudor style 2-storeys
house with 2 bargeboarded gables of different size on front with
Tudor arched door to left and main entrance porch, with stone
gable coping and finial, set diagonally in the re-entrant angle
on the right where a set-back range was extended in matching
style. A moulded stone string runs around the building at the
upper floor level, and high walls with Tudor arched gateways link
the house to the one and a half storeys small contemporary stable
block on the W. This has similar diapering on its N face to
garden, a wide arched carriage door, and a gabled outside
entrance to the loft, now glazed.


Listing NGR: TL3536616773

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.