History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Laurence and St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Long Eaton, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8988 / 52°53'55"N

Longitude: -1.2707 / 1°16'14"W

OS Eastings: 449158

OS Northings: 333736

OS Grid: SK491337

Mapcode National: GBR 7GV.9KX

Mapcode Global: WHDH3.GD4J

Plus Code: 9C4WVPXH+GP

Entry Name: Church of St Laurence and St James

Listing Date: 22 October 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204249

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82220

Location: Long Eaton Central, Erewash, Derbyshire, NG10

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

Electoral Ward/Division: Long Eaton Central

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Long Eaton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Long Eaton St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Long Eaton


SK 43 SE
4/35 (East Side)
Church of St Laurence
and St James

Parish church. C12, C14 and C15, rebuilt in 1868 by G E Street,
who used the original nave and chancel as his new south aisle
and chapel, and added a large nave, north aisle, chancel and
north vestry. Rubble stone with quoins to south aisle and
ashlar elsewhere. Steeply pitched plain tile roofs with lapped
stone coped gables and ridge crosses except for south chapel
which has flat roof. Western steeple, nave with large north and
south aisles, chancel with chapel to south and vestry to north.
Three stage C15 western tower has stepped angle buttress rising
to half way up the tower, and a deep moulded plinth. West
elevation has chamfered slit windows to first two stages and
similar smaller stair windows to south face. The third stage
has 2-light flat headed louvred bell openings with cusped
mouchettes over cusped lights, to all sides. Above is a moulded
stringcourse with central gargoyles, embattled parapets and a
recessed octagonal stone spire. To north is the gabled west end
of the nave which has a small pointed central doorcase with
hoodmould and a large 5-light window over. This has reticulated
tracery and two major mullions to sides and a relieving arch
over. Slightly recessed to west in north aisle is a similar
5-light window with stepped cusped lights. North elevation of
the aisle has three 2-light flat headed windows similar to bell
openings, and a pointed, blocked, chamfered doorcase between the
western two windows. To east is a buttress which defines the
end of the aisle and beyond is small 2-light window similar to
those to west. East window of aisle is similar to its western
window, and below it is a later addition with four-centred
arched doorcase facing north and one 3-light and two single
light windows facing east, each with semi-circular cusped headed
lights in flat headed surrounds. Plain parapets with ridgeback
coping over. To south is the advanced gable of the chancel with
short angle buttresses to either side of a 5-light pointed
window with elongated cusped lights and two major mullions to
centre. South chapel has a cambered headed 3-light east window
with cusped lights in deep chamfered surround, flanked by angle
buttresses. Above in the gable of the south aisle is a C19 rose
window. South elevation of the chapel has one 2-light flat
headed window with cusped mouchettes over cusped lights and
numerous scattered pieces of C12 carving. South aisle elevation
has one 2-light panel tracery window to east with a returned
hoodmould and block-like labelstops, and a chamfered C19 single
light window with semi-circular head to west. Beyond to west is
the porch which has a plain chamfered pointed outer door and a
splendid C12 semi-circular headed inner door. This has an inner
moulding of beakheads, a central moulding of linked roundels and
an outer billet moulding. Volute capitals to inner nookshafts
remain but others are missing. Beyond the porch is a flat
headed 2-light window similar to that to east with returned
hoodmould and carved labelstops. Interior has four bay north
and south arcades with double chamfered pointed arches on
columns with moulded capitals and bases, also a moulded pointed
chancel arch with soffit moulding on corbels and a small C15,
moulded pointed tower arch with soffit mould also on corbels.
Original chancel arch, now in south aisle, is a C12 semi-
circular headed arch with impost band and hood. Nave and aisle
roofs have plain collared trusses but chancel has painted
pointed timber barrel vault. Chancel has a two bay arcade
through to the south chapel with deep double chamfered arches on
pairs of octagonal columns. Opposite is a wide four-centred
arched organ bay and to east of that is a four-centred arched
door through to the vestry. To the south side beyond the arcade
to east is a simple stone double sedilla and piscina. North
aisle has large moulded, pointed arch to east end filled by 1905
panelled screen to base and organ to top. The screen has Art
Nouveau doors with elaborate hinges decorated with enamelled
plaques. Carved oak choir stalls, altar and altar rails are
dated 1936. The pulpit, also in timber, is c1949 and nave has
very plain C19 pews. C19 stone font has moulded circular stem
and bowl with cusped blind panelling, also wooden cover. South
aisle has small segment headed piscina to south wall and to
north side of chapel arch is a painted stone plaque inscribed
'Henry Howit John Baret Chur: warden 1696 and Edward Carter
Cleark 55 YE'. Memorials are mostly mid C19 and later, in the
south aisle there are two enamelled brass plaques of c1870 and
c1876, one slate plaque of c1890, one slate and white marble one
of c1850 and one marble and mosaic one of c1912. West wall of
south aisle has very blackened hatchment. Chancel has three
small brass memorials and the south chapel has one slate and
white marble wall memorial to Philip Tallents who died 1843,
also the north aisle has one marble plaque of c1915 and a brass
war memorial. Late C19 stained glass to chancel east window,
chancel north window and three north aisle windows. South
chapel has stained glass c1950 to east and south windows and
south aisle has one stained glass window of similar date. The
other window in south aisle has c1910 stained glass, and the
rose window over the south chapel arch has c1869 coloured glass.

Listing NGR: SK4915833736

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.