History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

38 and 40, Market Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Long Eaton, Derbyshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8989 / 52°53'56"N

Longitude: -1.2712 / 1°16'16"W

OS Eastings: 449119

OS Northings: 333747

OS Grid: SK491337

Mapcode National: GBR 7GV.9DD

Mapcode Global: WHDH3.FDWG

Plus Code: 9C4WVPXH+HG

Entry Name: 38 and 40, Market Place

Listing Date: 31 March 1977

Last Amended: 2 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334838

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82219

Location: Erewash, Derbyshire, NG10

County: Derbyshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Long Eaton Central

Built-Up Area: Long Eaton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Long Eaton St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Long Eaton


SK 43 SE
4/34 (East Side)
31.3.77 Nos 38 & No 40
II (formerly listed as
York Chambers)
Bank and offices, now shop and cafe with offices above. No 40
built for Midland Counties District Bank. 1901 and 1903 with
1960s alterations. Architects, Gorman and Ross. Art Nouveau
style. Painted, rendered and pebbledashed brick with gauged
brick and stone dressings, also applied timber studding and
tilework to first and second floors of No 40. Plain tile roofs
with brick side wall stacks, that to No 40 half hipped with wide
overhanging, bargeboarded eaves, and that to No 38, York
Chambers, hidden by a horseshoe-shaped coved stone pediment. No
40 has three storeys and four bays, and No 38 has two storeys
and a single bay. No 38 has a large c1960s glass shop front to
ground floor except for the door to the offices above, situated
to north. This has the original panelled doors, with a plain
overlight inscribed in gold lettering 'York Chambers'. Above,
the first floor has a large central oriel window on stone
brackets, with dentilled cornice and central mullion. The
windows are sashes with a segmental headed plate glass lower
sash and that above with grid-like small pane glazing. To
either side there are gauged brick turrets with hemispherical
tops, dentilled near the top with bands of glazed terracotta
blocks and with tall narrow windows to front, also with glazed
terracotta blocks for imposts and sills. The pediment above is
pebbledashed. Attached to north is No 40 which has the original
ground floor with a large 3-light window to north and doorcase
to south. The window has a moulded segmental head, with a huge
mannered double keystone, which dies into rounded jambs. The
fenestration with a curved transome is also original. The
doorcase has a roll moulded head also with large keystone, but
1970s doors. Above, is a small wavy grilled opening set in a
type of cartouche. Above, across the first floor and half way
up the second floor is a segmental headed panel of applied
timber studding with ornamental brick nogging. The base has a
frieze of carved timber panels instead of the brick nogging.
Set within this timber studding are four semi-circular oriel
windows with grid-like glazing and moulded cornices. Above this
there are four glazing bar casements set in wide timber
surrounds with cambered heads and arched bases. Above the
windows is a panel of coloured tilework with segmental top.
Interior of No 38 still has the original deep cornicing and
boldly corniced doorcases.

Listing NGR: SK4911933747

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.