This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5706 / 51°34'14"N
Longitude: -0.1383 / 0°8'17"W
OS Eastings: 529119
OS Northings: 187390
OS Grid: TQ291873
Mapcode National: GBR DT.RSX
Mapcode Global: VHGQL.KS7B
Entry Name: Archway Bridge
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Last Amended: 30 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204360
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368527
Location: Haringey, London, N6
Electoral Ward/Division: Highgate
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Augustine Highgate
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2987SW ARCHWAY ROAD
635-1/6/40 Archway Bridge
(Formerly Listed as:
Highgate Archway (that part in the
London Borough of Islington))
Bridge carrying Hornsey Lane over Archway Road, and designed
to replace a bridge of brick and stone construction designed
in 1813 by John Nash. Dated 1897 in panel at crown of arch,
and completed 1900. By Sir Alexander Binnie, for London County
Council. Portland stone, steel and iron. Portland stone piers
to either side with splayed bases having vermiculated quoins,
the body of the piers rusticated and vermiculated.
Segmental-arched span of 120 feet, of steel and cast-iron
construction with ropemouldings to archivolt and circular
ornament and arabesques in the spandrels; modillion cornice.
Balustrade of Portland stone piers to either end, carrying
cast iron lamp standards of the type designed by Lewis
Vulliamy for the Thames Embankment in the 1860s, with the
initials of the LCC on the south-eastern and north-western
lamps, and the date 1897 on the other pair; smaller central
piers, now painted, with lamp standards flanked by griffins;
intermediate piers surmounted by ball and spike finials with
spiked rail between; the cast-iron panels between with wheel
motifs and scrolling ornament.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).
Listing NGR: TQ2911987390
The asset was previously listed twice also in the London Borough of Haringey. This entry was removed from the List on 25 July 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings