This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1894 / 52°11'21"N
Longitude: -1.7097 / 1°42'34"W
OS Eastings: 419942
OS Northings: 254612
OS Grid: SP199546
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.LL8
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.B70F
Entry Name: Trinity College
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 4 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204635
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366206
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP1954NE CHURCH STREET
604-1/9/57 (West side)
25/10/51 Trinity College
(Formerly Listed as:
Trinity College School)
House, school 1872-1908, now flats. c1720; top floor and porch
added 1872. For Thomas Rawlins. Brick with ashlar dressings;
hipped slate with brick rear stacks. Double-depth plan.
3 storeys; symmetrical 9-window range. Plain ashlar plinth and
narrow band over 1st floor, rusticated pilasters to ends and
flanking 3-window pedimented centre, and top cornice. Porch
with brick pilasters and ashlar entablature with inscription:
COLLEGIUM SANCTAE ET/ INDIVIDUAE TRINITATIS/ AD MDCCCLXXII;
round-headed entrance with archivolt and paired half-glazed
doors, small return lights and 8-fielded-panel inner door.
Windows have sills and brick aprons, those to ground and 1st
floors with rubbed brick flat arches and keys over 12-pane
sashes, central 1st-floor window with shouldered and eared
architrave and key; 2nd-floor windows have ashlar lintels over
9-pane sashes, the aprons are a pre-1872 feature. Pediment has
brick tympanum with ashlar plaque recording founding of
Trinity College. Left return similar, with 2-storey canted bay
window; rear has gabled wing to left of pedimented wing.
INTERIOR: hall has exposed timber-framing to left; open-well
staircase to rear left has cut string with moulded tread ends,
column-on-vase balusters, moulded ramped handrail, panelled
newel to foot and fielded-panel dado; dogleg stair to rear
right has moulded string and handrail, turned balusters and
square newels with ball finials; some 1st-floor rooms noted as
having fielded panelling.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Trinity College was founded by the vicar, Dr
JD Collis, in 1872 and closed in 1904 after which it was used
as an army school until 1908; Marie Corelli of Mason Croft
(qv) converted the dining room into a music room in 1907.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-:
419; Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets
and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 26-7).
Listing NGR: SP1994254612
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings