This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1841 / 54°11'2"N
Longitude: -2.7222 / 2°43'19"W
OS Eastings: 352966
OS Northings: 476717
OS Grid: SD529767
Mapcode National: GBR 9NF1.GW
Mapcode Global: WH83P.43Z8
Entry Name: Burton Hall
Listing Date: 22 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204654
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76667
Location: Burton-in-Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Burton-in-Kendal
Built-Up Area: Burton-in-Kendal
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Burton St James
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 5276-5376 BURTON TANPITS LANE
(South side), Burton
6/28 Burton Hall
House. C17 remodelled and extended to front and rear mid C19. Stone rubble,
graduated greenslate roof with stone ridge. 2 storeys. 3 windows: C19 2-light
small-paned casements, with pointed-arched heads to lights, in stone surrounds.
Central 2-storey gabled porch with outer top-glazed vertically-split door with
pointed-arched head, inner heavily-studded door with decorative lattice
glazing. Small blocked fire-window on each floor to far left. Small flat-
roofed single-storey C19 extension to right of porch. Plinth, stone copings,
decorative brackets to kneelers, finial to apex and right-hand kneeler. 2 end
chimneys and ball finial at centre of ridge of main house. Rear has a 2-light
original mullioned window with cavetto mouldings to each floor on the West side
and a single-storey gabled stone porch with a ball finial on the East side.
Interior has chamfered beams; oak staircase, with turned balusters and earlier
enriched newel, lit from ceiling dome; fireplaces with stone lintels in kitchen
and living room; "coachman's" seat in kitchen; old floor boards.
Listing NGR: SD5296676717
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings