This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8231 / 50°49'23"N
Longitude: -0.1569 / 0°9'24"W
OS Eastings: 529915
OS Northings: 104232
OS Grid: TQ299042
Mapcode National: GBR JP3.952
Mapcode Global: FRA B6KX.NNW
Plus Code: 9C2XRRFV+66
Entry Name: Nos 1-6 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365500
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN1
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Brunswick and Adelaide
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Brighton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ2904SE BRUNSWICK TERRACE
579-1/23/22 (North side)
24/03/50 Nos.1-6 (Consecutive)
and attached railings
Terrace, now subdivided into flats. 1824-8, alterations to
attic storey mid-late C20. Architects Amon Wilds and
Stucco over brick, roofs of slate.
Plan: terrace of 6 units abutting block of flats to east.
3 storeys over basement plus attic, with additional storey in
centre 6 bays, 3:3:6:3:3 bays, mainly sash windows without
glazing bars, some French casement windows, full-height bow
fronts to penultimate 3 bays east and west, other bays
distinguished by use of giant Ionic order, (pilasters frame
the outer bays but the centre is all columns), moulded
entablature and minimal pediment over central 2 bays,
rusticated ground floor except to central 6 bays.
Segmental-headed openings to attic storey windows centre and
outer bays, moulded cornice, minimal pediments to penultimate
curved bays with lugged window surrounds, arched-head openings
on second floor with balustrades to these bays, renewed in
wood, heavy moulded cornice carried on trelliswork pilasters
right with cast-iron balustrade, renewed wooden pilasters and
balustrade left, remains of original cast-iron balustrades
also in seventh to tenth bays right.
Ground floor central pair of entrances flanked by plinths to
columns on floor above, incised decoration, large
segmental-headed window openings occupying 2 bays each,
similar plinths beyond, 3 bays right with original disengaged
Doric columns carrying entablature, 3 bays to left of centre
built-out with late C19-early C20 glazed infil in classical
style, entrances in fourth bays from end, outer bays with
arch-head windows, entrance to No.1 third bay right, to No.6
on left return; original 2 x 6 panel door to No.1 otherwise
late C19-early C20 half-glazed and panelled doors.
Entrances approached by shallow flights of steps, some
tessellated pavements. Left return of 8 bays.
Cast-iron railings returned from entrances along street
frontage with gates to areas.
(National Monuments Record: Photograph).
Listing NGR: TQ2993104231
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings