This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0005 / 52°0'1"N
Longitude: -0.9866 / 0°59'11"W
OS Eastings: 469666
OS Northings: 234046
OS Grid: SP696340
Mapcode National: GBR 9XQ.HCV
Mapcode Global: VHDT2.VZ89
Entry Name: Christ's Hospital
Listing Date: 21 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204931
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377199
Location: Buckingham, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
Civil Parish: Buckingham
Built-Up Area: Buckingham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Buckingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP6934 MARKET HILL
879-1/5/99 (South side)
Almshouses. Built 1897. Red brick in Flemish bond with some
stone dressings, half-hipped slate roof with ornamental ridge
tiles, and brick internal stacks. Small tenement block, with
attached stair and balcony access to 1st floor.
2-storey, 3-window range. Plank doors with 2 panel mouldings
and segmental-arched heads to far left, to left of centre and
to right, to ground and 1st floors. Stair to far right has
brick side wall to ground floor, York stone steps and open
timber-framed 1st floor with round-headed arches between
posts. Stair leads to continuous balcony along front of
building on timber posts with wrought-iron balustrade.
2-storey bay window to left with tripartite sash window to
ground and 1st floors and 2-storey double bay window to centre
with similar sashes. Windows have flush York stone sills.
Stack nearest centre of building is larger than the other and
bears large memorial stone of limestone with shaped pediment
inscribed Founded/ AD 1312. Main inscription reads: Refounded
by /Queen Elizabeth/AD 1597/ Rebuilt/ in the 60th year/ of the
reign of/ Queen Victoria/ AD 1897.
The almshouses are believed to have been built on the site of
the Hospital of St Lawrence, first mentioned in 1312. Christ's
Hospital was founded by Queen Elizabeth I to house '36 maimed
soldiers' from the Buckinghamshire area but by the C17 housed
'7 ancient women'. At the time of its rebuilding it housed 6
unmarried women. It cost »843 7s 9d.
(Sheahan JJ: The History and Topography of Buckinghamshire:
London: 1862-: 240; Harrison JT: Historical Buckingham:
Buckingham: 1909-: 34; Victoria County History:
Buckinghamshire: London: 1925-: 488).
Listing NGR: SP6966634046
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings