This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0004 / 52°0'1"N
Longitude: -0.9881 / 0°59'17"W
OS Eastings: 469564
OS Northings: 234034
OS Grid: SP695340
Mapcode National: GBR 9XQ.H0X
Mapcode Global: VHDT2.TZHC
Plus Code: 9C4X2226+5Q
Entry Name: St John's House
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204936
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377201
Location: Buckingham, Buckinghamshire, MK18
Civil Parish: Buckingham
Built-Up Area: Buckingham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Buckingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP6933 MARKET HILL
879-1/5/101 (North side)
13/10/52 St John's House
Former schoolmaster's house, latterly restaurant. C15,
substantially rebuilt in 1695 and altered C20. Originally
timber-framed to 1st floor, rebuilt to front in red brick in
Flemish bond, ground floor of coursed and uncoursed limestone
rubble, plain-tile roof and brick end stacks. 3-unit plan.
2-storey, 4-window range.
6-panel door to left with overlight and wood lintel, flanked
by C20 bay windows with hipped plain-tile roofs. A pair of
wood mullion and transom windows to ground floor right of
centre with wood lintels. Similar windows to 1st floor.
1st-floor storey band, deep chamfered limestone eaves and 3
hipped roof dormer windows. Coursed squared limestone end
walls, appearing to left as quoins. Rear wall of uncoursed
limestone rubble to ground floor, and timber-framed 1st floor
with red brick infill.
INTERIOR: moulded spine beam to left ground floor room and
large inglenook with bressumer.
The building is attached to the north end of The Old Latin
School (qv). It was rebuilt after a fire at the cost of
Alexander Denton for use as a house for the Master of the
Royal Latin School.
Listing NGR: SP6956434034
Other nearby listed buildings