This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6078 / 52°36'28"N
Longitude: -2.1448 / 2°8'41"W
OS Eastings: 390290
OS Northings: 301126
OS Grid: SJ902011
Mapcode National: GBR 189.NK
Mapcode Global: WHBFS.0QY4
Entry Name: Aldersley Junction Bridge birmingham Canal No 21 (Bottom) Lock
Listing Date: 31 March 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205075
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378331
Location: Wolverhampton, WV6
Electoral Ward/Division: Tettenhall Regis
Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Oxley The Epiphany
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ90SW BIRMINGHAM CANAL
895-1/2/62 No 21 (Bottom) Lock and Aldersley
Lock and bridge. 1785; restored 1980s. James Brindley with
R.Whitworth and S.Simcock, engineers. Brick with stone coping.
Bridge has brick elliptical arch with stone key and straight
parapets; ramp to north side; approx 3.5m wide. Lock to east
has double lower and single upper gates. One of of flight of
21 locks on the Birmingham Canal, Wolverhampton level. Lock
No.21 was added approximately 15 years after the main flight
(c1785). The original Lock No.20 was found to be too deep.
Lock No.20 was therefore altered in 1785 and Lock 21 added.
Listing NGR: SJ9029001126
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings