This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4348 / 51°26'5"N
Longitude: -2.5467 / 2°32'48"W
OS Eastings: 362090
OS Northings: 170784
OS Grid: ST620707
Mapcode National: GBR CLS.VJ
Mapcode Global: VH88V.T60F
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205151
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379146
Location: Bristol, BS4
Electoral Ward/Division: Brislington East
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Brislington St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST6270 CHURCH HILL, Brislington
901-1/49/452 (South side)
08/01/59 Church of St Luke
Church. C15, N arcade and aisle remodelled 1819, E end 1874 by
B Ferrey. Coursed red and grey Pennant rubble with ashlar
dressings and stone-coped slate roofs.
Aisled nave with chapels flanking chancel, S porch and W
tower. Perpendicular Gothic style.
3-light E window with cinquefoil heads and intersecting
tracery. Offset diagonal buttresses to chancel and aisles. NE
chapel has hoodmould over restored 3-light E window and label
mould over 2-light cinquefoil-headed N window. SE chapel has a
hoodmould over 3-light window with cinquefoil ogee heads.
4-bay N aisle with hoodmoulds over 3-light windows with
cinquefoiled ogee heads; similar tall E window. S aisle,
relatively unrestored, has C15 offset buttresses and moulded
plinth; hoodmoulds over 3-light Perpendicular windows with
cinquefoil heads and panel tracery. Plinth continues around
C15 porch, with crocketed pinnacles surmounting clasped
diagonal buttresses: late C19 doors set in pointed moulded
arch with engaged shafts to inner order and crocketed ogee
canopy to hoodmould; cross to moulded coping; tall C15
three-light window with cinquefoil ogee heads and restored
Fine 3-stage W tower with string courses and diagonal offset
buttresses surmounted by crocketed pinnacles: late C19 west
door set in pointed moulded arch flanked by diagonally-set
shafts with worn angels holding shields; crocketed ogee hood
beneath 3-light window; second stage has hoodmould over
2-light W window and one-light N window, all cinquefoil
headed; belfry has similar 2-light louvred windows and figures
of a couple in hollow-chamfered ogee-headed niche to S;
gargoyles to cornice beneath crenellated parapet with blind
panel tracery and figures set in fine ogee-headed canopies;
octagonal ashlar stair turret to the SE with a crocketed spire
to the stair turret. Clock and weathercock.
INTERIOR: late C19 Decorated reredos, piscina, sedilia and
biblical texts in crocketed canopies flanking E window. Late
C19 archway with engaged NE vestry; late C19 archway with ogee
tracery and C15 archway with panelled east intrados and inner
arch of 3 orders with bell capitals to engaged shafts to S
chapel. 5-bay nave of pointed arches, with piers having 4
attached shafts to bell capitals. Arch-braced roof to the nave
and the S aisle, the latter bearing on corbels to the arcade.
FITTINGS: square font on cushion capital and thick, round
shaft. Octagonal oak Jacobean pulpit, with classical panels.
C19 square-ended pews and choir stalls.
MEMORIALS: tomb slab to Thomas Newman, d.1542, wall plaques to
George Braikenridge, d.1856 and his family, and 3 urn plaques
to the Ireland family from 1805.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 65; The Buildings of England: Pevsner
N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 464).
Listing NGR: ST6209070784
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings