This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7162 / 51°42'58"N
Longitude: -1.9711 / 1°58'15"W
OS Eastings: 402092
OS Northings: 201942
OS Grid: SP020019
Mapcode National: GBR 3QY.6J8
Mapcode Global: VHB2Q.S495
Plus Code: 9C3WP28H+FH
Entry Name: The Old Police Station
Listing Date: 14 June 1948
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205185
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365175
Location: Cirencester, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Cirencester
Built-Up Area: Cirencester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cirencester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP0201 CASTLE STREET
578-1/6/38 (North side)
The Old Police Station
Formerly known as: No.2 Petty Sessions Court and Police
Station PARK LANE.
Includes: No.2 The Old Police Station PARK LANE.
Former Petty Sessional Court and Police Station, now offices.
Dated 1858. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings;
clay tile roofs with coped verges terminating in trefoil stops
over corbelled-out kneelers; 6 ridge and end stacks, one
ashlar, five rebuilt in reconstituted stone.
Building is L-plan on a prominent corner in simple Jacobethan
style; one gable on splayed corner; four gables to
single-storey service wing facing Park Lane.
Principal elevation to Castle Street is 2-storeys, attic and
cellar; 3-window range. First floor has three 2-light
chamfered stone mullion-and-transom windows with iron
casements and hoodmoulds; two similar 3-light windows to
ground floor. To centre studded plank door with decorative
strap hinges and back-plate for closing ring in
hollow-chamfered stone surround with hoodmould. 3 gabled full
dormers with 2-light chamfered stone mullion-and-transom
windows with pointed tops to upper lights; dormers have coping
and corbelled-out kneelers. Chamfered plinth has arched
opening to left and grating in pavement to light cellar;
simple footscraper in chamfered opening with pointed top to
right of door. Moulded string over ground floor; relieving
arches over ground and first floor openings. Flush quoins to
left and right angles. 4 down-pipes, three C19 square-section
with decorative hopper heads.
Single-storey part to right fronting Castle Street has one
single-light window with chamfered reveal and hoodmould and
two pointed openings with chamfered stone reveals now with C20
door and window. Parapet and shaped false gable have heavy
moulded coping. Gabled splayed corner of building facing up
Tetbury Road has oriel window to first floor with 4 lights
with pointed tops in chamfered stone surround, heavy moulded
base on shaped bracket and stone roof with crested edge. One
2-light chamfered stone mullion-and-transom window to attic
with pointed lights; 2 similar single-light windows to ground
floor. Moulded string over ground floor and around oriel
window continuous with Castle Street and Park Lane elevations.
Carved ribbon decoration in gable enclosing shield in relief
has relief lettering: PETTY SESSIONAL COURT AND POLICE STATION
and on shield: AD 1858.
2-window elevation to Park Lane similar to Castle Street;
single-storey service wing to left in similar style. Rear
elevation has stone external stair and diagonally-boarded
timber external gallery at first floor. INTERIOR not inspected
but noted as having undergone some C20 alteration.
Listing NGR: SP0209201942
Other nearby listed buildings