This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8286 / 50°49'42"N
Longitude: -0.1751 / 0°10'30"W
OS Eastings: 528622
OS Northings: 104816
OS Grid: TQ286048
Mapcode National: GBR JNW.YB4
Mapcode Global: FRA B6JX.1MJ
Plus Code: 9C2XRRHF+CX
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205303
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365514
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Central Hove
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Hove St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ2804NE CHURCH ROAD
579-1/17/36 (North side)
24/03/50 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Late Norman nave and aisles with west tower,
C13 chancel, ruinous by the C16, tower collapsed 1801 bringing
down with it the end bay of nave, church rebuilt encasing the
surviving aisles 1834-6, west gallery added 1839, NE vestry
1841, restored 1880.
Architect George Basevi, builders Butler and Son of
Paddington, restoration by J.T.Chappell, builder.
Norman style with Early English chancel and vestry. Coursed
pebbles, coped verges, slate roof, large stone slabs to porch
roof, use of cement in restoration work.
Plan: chancel, NE vestry, 5-bay aisled nave, 3-stage west
tower with stair turret, south porch. The exterior features of
the church are all C19.
Interior rendered, panelled dado to aisles. C19 tie beam
chancel roof, boarded and panelled; nave with original
tie-beam and crown post roof with curved struts in all but
western bay; shallow pitch aisle roofs with tie beams. Fat,
round Norman columns with foliate capitals and pointed arches
to arcade. C19 chancel arch. Gallery at west end, tower arch
C19. Chancel wall covered with mosaics, 1880. Elegant brass
lectern, wooden pulpit with brass handrail in Gothic style
1880. Vault numbers on the paving slabs in nave.
A number of memorials of historical interest including one to
members of the Basevi family: tablet to the painter Copley
Fielding, died 1856, with a poem; Greek Revival style wall
tablet to Elizabeth Yard died 1836 with a roundel depicting an
angel taking her up to heaven; wall tablet with medallion
portrait of Lt Sandeman, died 1852, surrounded by mourning
This was the original parish church of Hove. In 1531 the
parish was amalgamated with the larger and more important one
of Preston; they were not separated until 1879 when St Andrews
again became the parish church for 13 years, until All Saints
(qv) replaced it.
(Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).
Listing NGR: TQ2862204816
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings