History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Philip

A Grade II Listed Building in Wolverhampton, City of Wolverhampton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5705 / 52°34'13"N

Longitude: -2.1551 / 2°9'18"W

OS Eastings: 389581

OS Northings: 296979

OS Grid: SO895969

Mapcode National: GBR 16Q.DX

Mapcode Global: WHBFY.VNX6

Entry Name: Church of St Philip

Listing Date: 31 March 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205324

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378356

Location: Wolverhampton, WV3

County: City of Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Graiseley

Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Penn Fields St Philip

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wolverhampton

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO89NE CHURCH ROAD, Pennfields
895-1/4/107 (North side)
Church of St Philip

II

Church. 1858-9. By Griffin and Weller of Wolverhampton.
Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; tile roofs. Decorated
Gothic style. Chancel with north vestry and south organ loft;
nave with transepts and lean-to aisles; south west tower.
Coped gables. Chancel has 5-light east window with 2-light
window under gablet to south; gabled vestry has end stack and
pointed entrance, 2-light windows to west and east; lean-to
organ loft has 3-light windows to south and east. 3-bay north
aisle has 3-light windows between offset buttresses, 3-light
west window; nave has 4-light window and gable cross, angle
buttresses; 2-bay south aisle has 3-light windows. 3-stage
tower has plinth, octagonal south west stair turret, angle
buttresses; south entrance of one order, 2-light west window,
clock face to 2nd stage, top stage has 2-light louvred bell
openings, drip course with angle spouts and coped parapet.
INTERIOR: arch-braced traceried collar trusses on corbels;
chancel has 2-bay arcades on marble shafts paired in depth,
sanctuary stencilled below cornice, traceried panelling to
reredos, geometrical floor tiles, chancel arch on angel
corbels with vine trail to jambs; 4-bay north arcade and 3-bay
south arcade on filleted quatrefoil piers with rich foliage
capitals; stone floor with pierced slabs for heating. Chancel
stalls have plain fronts, commandment boards flank altar;
richly carved octagonal pulpit on marble shafts has panels
with relief figures, reading desk has blind arcading to front
and side; enriched round font. Good C19 glass; west and east
windows with geometrical designs. The pews are among the
latest having been installed in an Anglican church.
A good example of a mid C19 church, advanced in design.
(Deaville M: The Parish of Penn Fields: Its Church and People
1859-1981: Wolverhampton: 1981-: P.3-5).

Listing NGR: SO8958196979

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.