This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2644 / 50°15'51"N
Longitude: -5.052 / 5°3'7"W
OS Eastings: 182580
OS Northings: 44943
OS Grid: SW825449
Mapcode National: GBR ZF.XG3P
Mapcode Global: FRA 089B.HLW
Entry Name: Former Assembly Rooms
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Last Amended: 30 July 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205369
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377392
Location: Truro, Cornwall, TR1
Civil Parish: Truro
Built-Up Area: Truro
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Mary Truro
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW8244NE HIGH CROSS
880-1/7/75 (North side)
Former Assembly Rooms
(Formerly Listed as:
Formerly known as: Cathedral Garage HIGH CROSS.
Assembly rooms and theatre. Built 1772 or 1780s. Freestone
ashlar. Natural slate roof and C20 dormers behind pediment.
Plan changed during 1970s remodelling of core. Neo-classical
style. 2 storeys plus C20 attic; symmetrical 3-window front.
Central round-arched doorway with ordered tympanum flanked by
2 smaller round-arched doorways with entablature, both broken
forward; fanlights, C20 glazed doors. Above is mid-floor
string as sill to 3 tall hornless sashes with slender glazing
bars, under flat arches. Central plaque has a pair of Griffins
with urn flanked by medallions of Garrick and Shakespeare.
Triangular pediment above with a plaque of Minerva. INTERIOR:
replaced during C20 reconstruction. Pevsner cites the date of
building as 1772 but recent research has placed the building
in the 1780s.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: London:
Listing NGR: SW8259744954
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings