This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9644 / 52°57'51"N
Longitude: -1.4114 / 1°24'41"W
OS Eastings: 439629
OS Northings: 340938
OS Grid: SK396409
Mapcode National: GBR 6DK.3ZG
Mapcode Global: WHDGN.9R4B
Entry Name: Mausoleum West of Saint Matthews Church
Listing Date: 6 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205888
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352283
Location: Morley, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE7
Civil Parish: Morley
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Morley St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF MORLEY CHURCH LANE
SK 34 SE
1/80 (North Side)
Mausoleum west of
The Bateman family mausoleum. 1897 by G F Bodley.
Perpendicular style. Gritstone ashlar and coursed squared
gritstone. Roof hidden behind parapets with moulded copings.
Single storey, rectangular in plan. Chamfered plinth and
moulded stringcourse with fleurons, at the base of the parapet.
East elevation has a 5-light window with four centred arch and
cusped lights. The plinth is stepped upover a relief panel
with a decorative cross. The southern elevation has a similar
panel and a 5-light squared headed window above with cusped
lancet lights. Flanked by thin gableted buttresses and beyond,
cusped ogee niches with carved figures of bishops. The north
elevation has a doorway with moulded surround, and in front of
it is a piece of gritstone walling, said to be remains of the
old manor house. The west elevation has a similar 3-light
window flanked by narrow buttresses. The interior has a painted
panelled roof, ashlar walls, altar and reredos and the Bateman
tomb. Stained glass in the three windows.
Listing NGR: SK3962940938
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings