This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.453 / 51°27'10"N
Longitude: -2.6144 / 2°36'51"W
OS Eastings: 357406
OS Northings: 172843
OS Grid: ST574728
Mapcode National: GBR C3L.R0
Mapcode Global: VH88M.MRR0
Plus Code: 9C3VF93P+57
Entry Name: Goldney House and Attached Walls
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205899
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379240
Location: Bristol, BS8
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5772NW CLIFTON HILL, Clifton
901-1/14/782 (South side)
08/01/59 Goldney House and attached walls
House. c1720. Possibly by George Tully. Recased, altered and
extended 1864-5 by Alfred Waterhouse. Limestone ashlar with
lateral and ridge ashlar stacks and a slate hipped roof.
Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style with Second Empire
style alterations. 2 storeys and basement; 11-window range.
Symmetrical C18 front with recessed end and linking sections
to C19 right-hand stair tower; 1-window entrance section
broken forward with rusticated pilaster strips, left end
quoins, ground-floor cornice, deeper second-floor cornice and
The entrance has fluted Corinthian columns to an entablature
and pediment, semicircular-arched doorway and C20 door. 3:1:3
windows, with ground-floor pediments, segmental to the middle
one, and keys to the first floor, panelled aprons. Plate-glass
Square 4-stage tower has a blind lower stage with a left-hand
doorway, second stage with a pedimented window, and oval panel
with eared architrave to the left, 3 third-stage windows,
blind to the left, and an open fourth stage with arcades of 3
semicircular arches on paired Tuscan columns, pierced
balustrade of circles, modillion cornice, pierced parapet with
lozenges, and steep pyramidal roof with wrought-iron widow's
walk. Pedimented dormers to the tower and house roofs.
Largely C19 sides and rear, including a link to the road with
4 semicircular arches with LF to the keys. The C18 stable
attached to E end has a central gable with a banded ashlar
surround to the doorway, altered windows, and an ashlar ridge
stack, a through arch linking it to the house, and keyed
bull's eyes in the end gables.
INTERIOR: a c1825 fine mahogany panelled dining room with
paired fluted Doric pilasters to a frieze, good Hotwells
marble fireplace with glazed tile back and fine overmantel in
the Gibbons manner carved with birds and flowers. Garden
entrance to a c1865 hall and axial passage divided by
elliptical arches, a large stair hall to the right with an
open-well stair with twisted balusters and newels with ball
finials, and a good stone fireplace with 3/4 fluted Ionic
columns to an entablature and acroteria. Stair tower has
open-well service stair. The former stables now altered late
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rubble walls extend for approx
30m E from the street doorway to a carriage entrance with
ashlar piers with ball finials attached to the stables, curved
rubble wall extends approx 20m from the stable to the SE, and
English garden wall bond brick wall for approx 40m to
HISTORICAL NOTE: possibly based on a previous house of 1694.
Built for the Quaker merchant Thomas Goldney, whose family
created the important garden and grotto (qv), and recased for
Lewis Fry by Waterhouse.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 116).
Listing NGR: ST5740672843
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings