History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wear House

A Grade II Listed Building in Truro, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.263 / 50°15'46"N

Longitude: -5.0494 / 5°2'57"W

OS Eastings: 182759

OS Northings: 44782

OS Grid: SW827447

Mapcode National: GBR ZF.XGV3

Mapcode Global: FRA 089B.JNL

Plus Code: 9C2P7X72+56

Entry Name: Wear House

Listing Date: 30 July 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205912

English Heritage Legacy ID: 377528

Location: Truro, Cornwall, TR1

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Truro

Built-Up Area: Truro

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Mary Truro

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


880-1/7/215 PRINCE'S STREET
(South side)
Wear House


Originally two shops with offices over, but now one shop. This building was constructed in around 1889 for a Mr Polkinhorn, with James Clemens being responsible for the masonry, and William J. Tippet for the carpentry to a design prepared by Silvanus Trevail.
Brick with granite and freestone bands and dressings, and stucco details; dry Delabole slate roofs with gables onto the street; cast-iron ogee gutters. Rectangular plan. Jacobethan style. 3 storeys; 3 bays. Street front has pair of shopfronts (centre and left) and an elliptical-arched carriage opening on the right, articulated by rock-faced granite pilasters with their entablature breaking forward from the full-width moulded entablature with a 2-tier fascia. Shop fronts have round-headed lights. Large double doors of carriage doorway have raised and fielded panels. Stone-mullioned and transomed windows. First floor of 2:2:1 bays with tripartite Ipswich window with stepped entablature to each bay. Second floor has 2 wide bays surmounted by shaped gables, with triangular pediments and finials to left and plain parapet to right; finials between the bays; 4-light windows under gables have central fanlights surmounted by scrolled pediments; 2-light window over carriageway has triangular pediments.
INTERIOR: shop altered C20, otherwise not inspected. Included for group value.
Shown as No.10 Prince's Street on Ordnance Survey map.

Sources:- West Briton, 11th October 1888.

Listing NGR: SW8275644782

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.