This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.872 / 50°52'19"N
Longitude: -2.9651 / 2°57'54"W
OS Eastings: 332184
OS Northings: 108499
OS Grid: ST321084
Mapcode National: GBR M7.T6MP
Mapcode Global: FRA 46PS.LNP
Entry Name: Baptist Church
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206076
English Heritage Legacy ID: 374175
Location: Chard Town, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20
Civil Parish: Chard Town
Built-Up Area: Chard
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Chard St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST3308 HOLYROOD STREET
756-1/4/146 (East side)
24/03/50 Baptist Church
Church. Dated 1842. Ham Hill stone ashlar facade, rubblestone
and brick rear; slate roof. Single room plan with later C19
school rooms to rear. Greek Revival style.
2 storeys, symmetrical one-window range; substantial plinth
and 4 rounded steps up to 8-panel double-door set in moulded
architrave under cornice supported by consoles; above is a
large semicircular-arched window with cast-iron glazing bars,
framed by Doric pilasters and a small pediment with antefixae.
This is flanked by 2 pairs of full-height Doric pilasters
supporting a cornice and pediment which almost spans the
facade and bears the raised carved date MDCCCXLII. The ground
floor has banded rustication between plinth and a platband
above level of the door.
INTERIOR: east end has round-arched recess over
semicircular-arched cast-iron window with late C19 red and
blue glass borders above a substantial pulpit raised on 2
octagonal columns which fan out to support a curved-fronted
platform; original 1842 stairs with stick balusters and
mahogany rail; balusters to front are of late C19 cast-iron
bamboo design. 4-panel doors set in reeded architraves each
side of pulpit. East end has incised key pattern to panelling.
Gallery to other 3 sides is supported by cast-iron pillars and
has cast-iron windows above and original pews; windows below
were replaced in 1988. A very fine and complete example.
(Stell C: Non-Conformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in SW
England: London: 1991-: P.171).
Listing NGR: ST3218408499
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings