History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 37 and 39 and Attached Front Garden Walls and Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Stoke Bishop, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4735 / 51°28'24"N

Longitude: -2.6276 / 2°37'39"W

OS Eastings: 356509

OS Northings: 175140

OS Grid: ST565751

Mapcode National: GBR C0B.SM

Mapcode Global: VH88M.D7S6

Entry Name: Numbers 37 and 39 and Attached Front Garden Walls and Piers

Listing Date: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206250

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379515

Location: Bristol, BS9

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Stoke Bishop

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Stoke Bishop

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5675 DOWNLEAZE, Sneyd Park
901-1/31/1795 (North West side)
Nos.37 AND 39
and attached front garden walls and
piers

GV II

Pair of attached houses. c1896. By Henry Dare Bryan. Snecked
Lias rubble with limestone dressings, tile-hung second floor,
brick ridge and diagonally-set gable stacks and tile hip and
gable roof. Double-depth plan. Queen Anne style. 3 storeys;
2-window range.
A symmetrical pair with the entrances in the sides, central
paired full-height bays and large dormers above, and
stone-framed ground-floor windows. Carved doorcases have
grotesque faces flanking mullion overlights, below acanthus
brackets to a large shell hood, and an elliptical-arched
battened 2-leaf door.
Ground-floor mullion and transom windows, first-floor timber
plate-glass casements with glazing bars above the transoms.
Outer ground-floor windows have 3-lights, below a balcony with
railings and turned posts to an elliptical arch supporting the
overhanging eaves; in the wall behind are casements flanking
glazed door; canted central bays are separated by a buttress,
above are large, paired, half-timbered dormers with 4-light
casement windows. The front pitch of the roof extends sideways
to cover small oriels at either end beneath the gable eaves.
The rear elevation is flat with semicircular-arched stair
lights and a single-storey service block. INTERIOR not
inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front garden walls and piers
with ball finials. Strongly influencd by Norman Shaw's Bedford
Park, 1881.


Listing NGR: ST5650975140

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.