History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 28 and 30 and Attached Piers and Front Garden Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Stoke Bishop, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4733 / 51°28'24"N

Longitude: -2.6269 / 2°37'36"W

OS Eastings: 356552

OS Northings: 175117

OS Grid: ST565751

Mapcode National: GBR C0B.XP

Mapcode Global: VH88M.F73C

Plus Code: 9C3VF9FF+86

Entry Name: Numbers 28 and 30 and Attached Piers and Front Garden Walls

Listing Date: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1280329

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379510

Location: Stoke Bishop, Bristol, BS9

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Stoke Bishop

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Stoke Bishop

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in



ST5675 DOWNLEAZE, Sneyd Park
901-1/31/1790 (South East side)
Nos.28 AND 30
and attached piers and front garden


Pair of attached houses. Dated 1896. By Henry Dare Bryan.
Snecked limestone rubble and dressings, tile-hung second
floor, brick ridge and diagonally-set gable stacks and tile
hip and gable roof. Double-depth plan. Queen Anne style. 3
storeys; 2-window range.
A symmetrical pair with the entrances in the sides, projecting
outer gables, and stone-framed ground- and first-floor
windows. Carved doorcases have winged cupid corbels to fluted
half pilasters, 3 Tudor-arched overlights and a dentil
cornice, and an elliptical-arched battened 2-leaf door.
Ground-floor mullion and transom windows, first-floor windows
have plate-glass casements with glazing bars above the
transoms, and second-floor timber windows project slightly on
small brackets.
The gables have 2-storey canted bays with tiled panels and
2-light ground- and first-floor windows below the overhanging
tile-hung gable, which has 3-light windows and a jettied
half-timbered apex. Between the gables the ground floor is
flush with the outer gables with a tiled lean-to roof and
3-light windows, 2-light first-floor windows and 3-light eaves
dormers with half-timbered gables.
The rear elevation is flat with semicircular-arched stair
lights and a single-storey service block.
INTERIOR: hall screen with stained-glass door and side
windows, a black and white tiled hall, elliptical arch to a
dogleg stair with turned balusters and large turned newels,
5-panel doors, cornices and fireplaces.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front garden rubble walls and
piers with domed caps. Strongly influencd by Norman Shaw's
Bedford Park, 1881.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 396).

Listing NGR: ST5655275117

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.