History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of Priest's House, About 8 Metres North North West of the West End of St Leonard's Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Newhaven, East Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8045 / 50°48'16"N

Longitude: 0.0625 / 0°3'44"E

OS Eastings: 545422

OS Northings: 102578

OS Grid: TQ454025

Mapcode National: GBR LS7.JM5

Mapcode Global: FRA C60Z.44N

Entry Name: Remains of Priest's House, About 8 Metres North North West of the West End of St Leonard's Church

Listing Date: 20 May 1949

Last Amended: 10 February 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206304

English Heritage Legacy ID: 374204

Location: Newhaven, Lewes, East Sussex, BN9

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Newhaven

Built-Up Area: Newhaven

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Denton with South Heighton and Tarring Neville

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Newhaven

Listing Text


NEWHAVEN

TQ4502 HEIGHTON ROAD, Denton
769-1/5/20 Remains of Priest's House, about 8m
20/05/49 NNW of the West end of St Leonard's
Church
(Formerly Listed as:
HEIGHTON ROAD, Denton
Remains of the Priest's House in NW
corner of churchyard adj Parish Hall)

GV II

Remains of Priest's house, now walls, sections of which form a
garage (not included). Circa 1300, incorporated into a garage
early-mid C20. Knapped flint, Caen stone dressings. Plan: a
10m length of wall, about 4m high, with a parallel length of
wall to the N of lesser extent, garage between at W end. The
southern wall facing onto the churchyard has the remains of a
trefoil-headed lancet window at first floor level, and remains
of a square-headed opening below to the E. The western end of
the wall obscured by ivy at time of survey (May 1989) and
generally in poor condition.
A number of medieval buildings stood in the vicinity of the
churchyard and were swept away during the C18.
(Horsfield T W: A History of Sussex: 1827-).


Listing NGR: TQ4542202578

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.