History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House with Gatepiers, Walls and Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Newhaven, East Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.8043 / 50°48'15"N

Longitude: 0.0631 / 0°3'46"E

OS Eastings: 545465

OS Northings: 102558

OS Grid: TQ454025

Mapcode National: GBR LS7.JRM

Mapcode Global: FRA C60Z.4C9

Entry Name: Manor House with Gatepiers, Walls and Gates

Listing Date: 20 May 1949

Last Amended: 10 February 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1280267

English Heritage Legacy ID: 374207

Location: Newhaven, Lewes, East Sussex, BN9

County: East Sussex

Civil Parish: Newhaven

Built-Up Area: Newhaven

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Denton with South Heighton and Tarring Neville

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


769-1/5/22 (West side)
20/05/49 Manor House with gatepiers, walls
and gates
(Formerly Listed as:
The Rectory)


Manor house, now dwelling. Dated 1724, altered early C20,
restored c1947. Knapped flints with brick dressings, brick
plinth, clay tiles to front elevation, slate to rear, coped
verges, boxed eaves, brick stacks gable ends. L-plan: 2-cell
and cross passage with service wing to rear. Two storeys plus
attic, 5-bays; 2 inserted flat-roofed dormers, all other
windows 12-pane sashes with horns, first floor tripartite sash
windows in second and fourth bays, brick quoins to window
openings, those of the larger opening renewed in yellow stock
bricks, intermittant 5-course brick string, centrally placed
tablet inscribed with the date 1724 and initials 'R(obert)
M(itchell) Esq', ground floor similar fenestration with
segmental heads to openings of tripartite sash windows,
central 6-panel door, flat-roofed porch carried on renewed
shaped brackets. Left gable end bread oven projection. Walls:
flint and brick, brick piers and fine pair of wrought-iron
double gates to garage entrance.
Interior: altered early-mid C20. Through-passage blocked by
insertion of wc, room to left with wooden bolection-moulded
fireplace surround and arched-head recess to left of
fireplace. Room to right with another C18 bolection-moulded
surround fronting a large, blocked bressumer beam fireplace,
narrow plank and muntin panelling to room, without cornice or
plinth, of early C20 date, similar in bedroom above with
cupboards and vernacular-style door furniture. Flat beam with
scroll stops and round arched opening throught to service
wing; srmains of C18 plank door to brick-lined cellar. First
floor stud partition in front range; rearwing, 3 bay arcade to
bathroom with imported fluted columns and remains of 1930s
decoration, flat chamfered beams with scroll stops in southern
half buried in partition wall, unmoulded beam to mrothern
half; A-frame roof with remains of 3 tiers of purlins; front
range roof boxed-in. The building has undergone many
alterations and it is difficult to ascertain whether the date
of 1724 relates to its erection or to the refurbishment of a
C17 building; the front range and wing appear to be coeval.
This building is believed to have been the manor house of
Denton and was latterly the rectory; it was sold by the Church
Commissioners in the 1960s.

Listing NGR: TQ4546502558

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.