This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4569 / 51°27'24"N
Longitude: -2.5982 / 2°35'53"W
OS Eastings: 358534
OS Northings: 173266
OS Grid: ST585732
Mapcode National: GBR C7J.CL
Mapcode Global: VH88M.XN91
Entry Name: The Old Rectory and Attached Rear Wall
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206378
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379956
Location: Bristol, BS2
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5873SE LOWER CHURCH LANE
901-1/11/134 (North West side)
08/01/59 The Old Rectory and attached rear
(Formerly Listed as:
LOWER CHURCH LANE
The Old Rectory)
House. c1470, partially refronted c1770; contained late C16
panelling. Render and brick with limestone dressings, rubble
plinth, brick gable stacks and pantile hipped roof.
Double-depth plan including right-hand rear wings. 2 storeys
and attic; 5-window range. In 2 sections, 2:3 windows stepped
up to the left-hand brickwork, render to the right, with a
band above the plinth, a ground-floor drip to the right,
differently moulded cornices, stepped up, and a continuous
c1770 right-hand section has raised, coved surrounds and ogee
heads, a left-hand doorway with interlacing overlight and
6-panel door with the upper 4 raised, and 6/6-pane sashes,
with interlacing heads, and 3 sunken panels to the parapet.
C19 left-hand section has keyed architraves to horned 6/6-pane
ground-floor sashes, and 4/8-pane first-floor sashes. The drip
and cornice extend into the right-hand return as far as the
external gable stack, windows as the front to each side, no
right-hand ground-floor window, with a rear single-storey
block. A continuous roof with 2 hipped dormers to the rear and
3 hips to the front.
INTERIOR not accessible, but reported as having a left-hand
lateral stair flight with uncut string, column-on-vase
balusters and a ramped rail. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached
wall to NE corner.
HISTORICAL NOTE: formerly the rectory to St Michael's Church
(qv), c1470, which was largely rebuilt 1775 by Thomas Paty,
who may have introduced the ogee fenestration to the rectory.
Fine late C16 panelling was removed to the Red Lodge (qv), and
is now in the ground floor Oak Room there. A house on the site
is marked on Millerd's Map of Bristol, 1673.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 78; Millerd's Map of Bristol: 1673-).
Listing NGR: ST5853473266
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings