This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4572 / 51°27'25"N
Longitude: -2.5984 / 2°35'54"W
OS Eastings: 358516
OS Northings: 173301
OS Grid: ST585733
Mapcode National: GBR C7J.9H
Mapcode Global: VH88M.XM5S
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282109
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380470
Location: Bristol, BS2
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5873SE ST MICHAEL'S HILL
901-1/11/279 (West side)
08/01/59 Church of St Michael and attached
Church. Mid C15 tower, church rebuilt 1775-77 by Thomas Paty.
Coursed, squared Pennant rubble crypt, Pennant rubble with
limestone dressings to the rest.
Aisled nave, chancel, N and S porches and W tower.
Perpendicular Gothic tower, Georgian Gothic Revival-style
3-light E window with intersecting tracery, and similar
2-light windows to the aisles, and a 2-light ogee-headed S
chancel window; cornice to N and S of chancel, gabled aisles
and nave. Cross arrow slits in the crypt; 5-bay N aisle has
2-light windows with intersecting tracery, and a cornice with
small panels above and below between the windows; the W porch
has a depressed ogee-arched doorway with an ogee hood and
2-leaf door with pointed panels; the NW vestry has depressed
ogee-arched windows with 6/6-pane sashes and interlacing to
the N and W. S aisle as the N, the porch having steps with
The 4-stage tower has diagonal buttresses and a SE stair
turret with a Tudor-arched door at the bottom; 4-centred
arched W door with quatrefoils to the spandrels below a
3-light Perpendicular window with head stops; second and third
stages have 2-light windows, blind to the quatrefoil heads,
and dated 1811 on the S side; a belfry clock in a round
moulding below 2-light windows with openwork, 2 gargoyles to
the cornice, a crenellated parapet and pinnacles, with a
crenellated spirelet to the stair turret.
INTERIOR: Late C19 reredos of 4 arches and a central bay and
low, pointed niches in the sides of the chancel; the pointed
chancel arch has sunken panels in the soffit. 5-bay nave
arcade of columns on tall pedestals with fluted capitals to a
plain waggon roof and panelled beams to pilasters dividing the
flat-ceilinged aisles; late C19 gallery at the W end.
FITTINGS: C17 sword rest; C19 round stone pulpit with brackets
to the bottom; octagonal font of 1886 with marble shafts,
which replaced an urn with a marble basin by Thomas Paty of
1775; brass lectern with angels 1887. Memorials include a wall
monument to Joseph Percivall d.1764, a sarcophagus on scrolled
feet, bearing a plinth with 3 classical figures holding a
likeness on a shield; wall mounument to Mary Stretton d.1791,
an ogee-sided plinth and obelisk with a figure leaning on an
urn; marble tablet to James Drew d.1835, a Gothic-style panel
with octagonal attached columns and a trefoil parapet.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached iron railings.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 175; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 404;
Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 70).
Listing NGR: ST5851673301
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings