History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bank House

A Grade II Listed Building in Launceston, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6371 / 50°38'13"N

Longitude: -4.3578 / 4°21'28"W

OS Eastings: 233365

OS Northings: 84584

OS Grid: SX333845

Mapcode National: GBR NL.98GB

Mapcode Global: FRA 17RD.437

Entry Name: Bank House

Listing Date: 7 June 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206424

English Heritage Legacy ID: 370000

Location: Launceston, Cornwall, PL15

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Launceston

Built-Up Area: Launceston

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Launceston

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Launceston

Listing Text


LAUNCESTON

SX3284 EXETER STREET
660-1/4/60 (North side)
No.9
Bank House

GV II

Savings bank, now house. 1857 by Henry Crisp, builder William
Burt, for Launceston Savings Bank.
Stucco on rubble with granite plinth, sills and sill brackets,
parapet with moulded cornice; hipped dry slate roof with
2-stage stuccoed end stacks with moulded cornices.
Double-depth U-shaped plan plan with lean-to stair projection
to rear right-hand angle, recessed central entrance bay. C20
windows within moulded architraves with tall keyblocks;
tripartite central doorway with side-lights all with moulded
round arches springing from stepped corbels; keyblocks to
lights, 3 consoles over doorway linked to moulded mid-floor
string; pair of 2-panel doors and plain fanlight. Rear has 5
original hornless sashes with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: original features include dog-leg open-string
staircase with turned balusters, moulded ceiling cornices,
slate chimney-pieces and 6-panel doors. Entrance/stair hall
later subdivided and doorway on left of entrance hall through
former fireplace.
HISTORY: Bank house was the 1st purpose-built premises for the
Launceston Saving Bank which started on 28th January 1818, one
of the 1st of its kind in England. In 1865 some rooms, rented
by Fleetwood Kempson (solicitor) were used as reading rooms
and a club later known as the Tamar Club.
(Kelly's Directory: Directory of Cornwall: 1902-: 169).


Listing NGR: SX3336584584

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.