This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1287 / 51°7'43"N
Longitude: -3.0045 / 3°0'16"W
OS Eastings: 329805
OS Northings: 137082
OS Grid: ST298370
Mapcode National: GBR M5.92NP
Mapcode Global: VH7DH.WW0M
Entry Name: Royal Clarence House
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Last Amended: 31 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206472
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373911
Location: Bridgwater, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6
Civil Parish: Bridgwater
Built-Up Area: Bridgwater
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST2937SE HIGH STREET
736-1/10/94 (North side)
and Royal Clarence House
(Formerly Listed as:
Royal Clarence Hotel incorporating
Hotel. c1834, converted into shopping centre in 1980s.
Probably by Benjamin Baker. Painted Flemish-bond brick, stone
blocking course, cornice (repaired with wood), cills and
porch; pantile roof with brick stacks to right and centre of
ridge. L-shaped plan.
3 storeys with attic; 17-window range to High Street and York
Buildings. Four C20 dormers to the front. The High Street
facade is symmetrical 6-window range, a curved bay to the
right-hand corner has 2 windows and the rest are on the right
return in York Street.
The main block of 9 windows has a cornice and blocking course;
3/6-pane sashes to second floor and 6/9-panes to full-height
sashes on first floor, except 2 to right which have higher
cills and that to far right is blind.
To centre of street front is a portico with paired Ionic
columns and late C19 cast-iron railings above; to centre is a
low-relief cast-iron plaque of the town arms with a castle on
a bridge, a star and a fleur-de-lys, to left the words
"R.C.Mayor", to right "Esq"; it was formerly on the old
cast-iron Town Bridge (qv). The moulding of cornice of portico
continues across main building as a string course.
No.8 to left, now part of the hotel, has separate stucco
facade of similar date with painted stone cornices, blocking
course, pilasters, cill band and dressings.
4 storeys; symmetrical one-window range. Above the C20 shop
front a semicircular recess with moulded archivolt and imposts
frames a 6/3-pane sash window, probably formerly 6/6-panes
truncated by the shop fascia; above is a 3/6-pane sash, both
flanked by pilasters supporting a substantial cornice. Attic
storey has a 3/3-pane sash window, panelled pilasters, cornice
and blocking course.
INTERIOR: the first floor retains some 6-panel doors, moulded
cornices, reeded cornices and dado rail; especially room to
curved corner which also has a high skirting board;
closed-string dogleg service stair to rear has stick balusters
and turned newels.
This was noted as the principal coaching inn in Bridgwater.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset:
London: 1958-: 98; VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 203).
Listing NGR: ST2980637071
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings