This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.053 / 52°3'10"N
Longitude: 1.1545 / 1°9'16"E
OS Eastings: 616376
OS Northings: 244092
OS Grid: TM163440
Mapcode National: GBR TMW.BP6
Mapcode Global: VHLBS.YNPK
Plus Code: 9F433533+5Q
Entry Name: Gateway to Wolsey's College of St Mary
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275414
Location: Alexandra, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4
Electoral Ward/Division: Alexandra
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1260 COLLEGE STREET
Gateway to Wolsey's College
of St Mary
TM 1644 SW 3/33 19.12.51
This brick gateway adjoining St Peter's Church Yard is all that remains of
the college founded by Cardinal Wolsey for Secular Cannons in 1528 and suppressed
in 1530. It consists of a 4-centred moulded brick archway with square hood
moulding surmounted by the arms of Henry VIII carvel in stone, now very weathered.
The arms are contained in a moulded brick panel and are flanked by niches
with cusped brick arches. Above is a band of recessed panels with quatrefoil
moulding. The gateway is enclosed by 2 octagonal piers in 3 stages. This
gateway was not the main one, but probably gave access to a quadrangle.
Adjoining the gateway on the west is a small part of the boundary wall, which
extends north, forming the limit of St Peter's Churchyard. AM.
The Church of St Peter, the Gateway to Wolsey's College of St Mary,
Nos 1 to 5 (odd) and No 4 form a group.
Listing NGR: TM1637644092
Other nearby listed buildings