History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Green's

A Grade II Listed Building in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9953 / 51°59'42"N

Longitude: -2.1566 / 2°9'23"W

OS Eastings: 389343

OS Northings: 232991

OS Grid: SO893329

Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.TVB

Mapcode Global: VH93T.K3RR

Entry Name: Green's

Listing Date: 4 March 1952

Last Amended: 25 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206624

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376791

Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Tewkesbury

Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text


TEWKESBURY

SO8932 HIGH STREET
859-1/6/208 (West side)
04/03/52 No.42
Green's
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET
(West side)
No.42
Anchor Hotel)

GV II

Inn. Early C19, ground floor late C19 or early C20. Painted
brick, slate roofs, brick stacks. A wide but shallow front
block with a return wing to Quay Street, and a second wing at
the left hand end.
3 storeys and basement, 4-windowed. Broad 16-pane sashes to
brick voussoirs, and keystones, decorated with urns at first
floor and floral swags at second floor. The ground floor is
rendered, and with rusticated joints under a frieze with
dentilled cornice. 2 wide lights have 4 small panes above the
transom in segmental heads with voussoirs and keystone. The
central door has side lights, with a transom-light to a
similar segmental head, all in a pilaster case and open
pediment. Basement grille to the left. Small plinth returned
to the left, and small modillion cornice is stopped to the
front, with blocking course and coped parapet. 2 large brick
stacks at rear eaves.
The return to Quay Street has a narrow section to a haunched
parapet, with one 12-pane sash at first floor, right, with
keystone. Then, to left, and lower, a 3-storey wing with 2
horizontal 12-pane sashes above 16-pane. The ground floor is
detailed as the front, but with a central 4-panel door to
radial fanlight and arch in pilaster doorcase with open
pediment. This flanked each side by plain lights with 2 lights
above a transom, and in segmental heads with small keystone.
The frieze and cornice is also carried round.
The back of the main block has a wide central gable above a
wide segmental-headed opening. To the left is the
mansard-roofed wing. A small lead-covered octagonal light is
set at the junction between these two blocks. INTERIOR not
inspected.
This building, formerly the Anchor Hotel, holds an important
corner site in the High Street, and the front block has been
given high ceilings to create an imposing presence.


Listing NGR: SO8934332991

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.