History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

12-16, Elm Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Norwich, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.6314 / 52°37'53"N

Longitude: 1.2966 / 1°17'47"E

OS Eastings: 623188

OS Northings: 308843

OS Grid: TG231088

Mapcode National: GBR W9H.3G

Mapcode Global: WHMTM.W4M0

Plus Code: 9F43J7JW+HM

Entry Name: 12-16, Elm Hill

Listing Date: 26 February 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206643

English Heritage Legacy ID: 229059

Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3

County: Norfolk

Electoral Ward/Division: Thorpe Hamlet

Built-Up Area: Norwich

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Norwich St George, Tombland

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in


(north-west side)
26.2.54 Nos. 12 to 16 (even)
3 houses, now 2 shops and house. Timber-frame Nos. 12 & 14 brick on
ground floor; No.16: rendered on ground floor. First floor and dormers
rendered throughout. Plain tiled roof. Brick coping to rendered left
gable; brick gable-end chimney to right. 2 storeys and attic; first-floor
jetty; 6 first-floor windows (one blocked). Central passage has moulded
surround and door with ribs, iron studs and four-centred head, and includes
a smaller door of similar design. Flush panelled and part-glazed doors to
Nos. 12 and 14 have simple identical moulded doorcases with corner roundels.
No.16 has a 6-panelled door and simple fluted doorcase.Ground floor windows
have glazing bars with external shutters to Nos. 12 & 14. The window of
No.12 is slightly bowed, similar to another in the left side elevation.
No.16 has one small glazing-bar sash window with wooden shutter, and
2 large-paned sash windows flanking the door. 5 first-floor mullioned and
transomed casements, and one similar in side elevation. Box cornice beneath
3 gabled dormers with casements, plain bargeboards and turned pendants.
Rear of Nos. 14 and 16 have flint rubble walls and diaper-pattern brickwork.
Used as a monastery for a short time after 1864, under Rev. J,L.Lyne,
self-styled Father Ignatius.F

Listing NGR: TG2318808843

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.