History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Custom House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bideford, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.02 / 51°1'11"N

Longitude: -4.2043 / 4°12'15"W

OS Eastings: 245489

OS Northings: 126825

OS Grid: SS454268

Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J4Q3

Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.3W3

Entry Name: The Old Custom House

Listing Date: 8 November 1949

Last Amended: 19 April 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206709

English Heritage Legacy ID: 375735

Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Bideford

Built-Up Area: Bideford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bideford

Listing Text


BIDEFORD

SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET
842-1/5/21 (North side)
08/11/49 Nos.1 AND 1A
The Old Custom House
(Formerly Listed as:
BRIDGELAND STREET
(North side)
No.1
Bridgeland House)

GV II

House, later the Customs House, now a public house. 1695,
remodelled with rear additions in early and mid C19. Solid
rendered walls. Slate roof. Rendered chimney on rear wall.
2 storeys with garret; 4-window range, with doorway in place
of second ground-storey window front left. Windows have shaped
surrounds; sashes with margin-panes. Raised band above ground
storey. 3 gabled dormers with pierced, patterned bargeboards;
sashes with margin-panes. Gable-end facing The Quay has
2-storeyed, 3-light bay window with rounded corners and top
entablature; sashes with glazing-bars. Garret window matches
those on Bridgeland Street front. Gable decorated with 3
ball-finials. At rear a rounded stair turret with round-arched
window containing 18-pane fixed sash with radial bars at the
top. Adjoining it on either side, additions with late C20
slate-hanging.
To right, facing the Ropewalk, a former warehouse; ground
storey altered, but upper storey retains C19 loading-door
flanked by sash-windows with margin-panes.
INTERIOR: ground storey only inspected, completely altered.
Rear staircase has thin, square-section balusters. Bideford
Bridge Trust lease of 20.5.1695 grants newly erected house on
this site to Nathaniel Gascoyne, carpenter, who had laid out
Bridgeland Street in 1690. Lease of 1832 says building 'now
used as the Custom House'; it was no longer used for this
purpose by 1890.
(Thorp J: Programme of Devon Buildings Group Summer
Conference, 1987: 1987-: NOTES-BRIDGELAND ST; Bideford
Historic Buildings Survey, Notes; Bideford Bridge Trust
Account Book: 1).


Listing NGR: SS4548926825

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.