This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0204 / 51°1'13"N
Longitude: -4.2042 / 4°12'15"W
OS Eastings: 245499
OS Northings: 126867
OS Grid: SS454268
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J4R2
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.3Y4
Plus Code: 9C3Q2QCW+48
Entry Name: Bideford Arts Centre
Listing Date: 29 June 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245947
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487730
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS42NE THE QUAY
842-1/2/10003 Bideford Arts Centre
Technical school; now arts centre. Dated 1896; by G. Malam Wilson of Bideford. Red brick. Slate roof with parapeted gable ends. Brick stacks at rear.
PLAN: L-shaped on plan, with classrooms to north and east, entrance on south side opening onto small courtyard with office/master's house to SW.
Free Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: 2 lofty storeys; office/master's house wing lower. Asymmetrical principal north front of three bays divided by pilasters topped by ball finials above the parapet, the outer bays gabled with large 4-centred arch windows, the left wider and full height, both with ogee hoodmoulds with pinnacles rising through the gables; ground floor centre and right large segmental headed windows, centre first floor windows have shaped brick aprons; moulded brick strings at floor and cill levels. The strings continue around left return [E], 4 bays, ground floor blind with segmental heads, first floor with shaped brick aprons. South gable has two large segmental headed ground floor windows on right, projecting brick porch on left with 4-centred arch, panelled double doors, fanlight and ball finial to scrolled parapet; segmental headed window above and large stone plaque with shaped head inscribed with date, shield, Municipal Technical Schools, name of mayor and secretary, builder and architect G. Malam Wilson. Lower 2 storey, 2-bay office/master's house facing yard on left [SW] with moulded brick strings and segmental headed ground floor windows. The windows have moulded wooden frames with mullion and transoms, large north window with stained glass at head. Lower rear wing at rear [SW].
INTERIOR: Narrow open-well staircase with turned wooden balusters and newels and carved tread ends, doorways with reeded architraves. Studios and classrooms on first floor open to roofs with exposed iron tie trusses.
This is a good and largely complete example of an 1890s technical school.
SOURCES:  Buildings of England, p.178.  Kelly's Directory, 1897 and 1910.
Listing NGR: SS4550026869
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings