This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4671 / 50°28'1"N
Longitude: -3.5287 / 3°31'43"W
OS Eastings: 291603
OS Northings: 64145
OS Grid: SX916641
Mapcode National: GBR QV.X4YP
Mapcode Global: FRA 37HT.H41
Entry Name: Torquay Market
Listing Date: 10 January 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390686
Location: Torbay, TQ1
Electoral Ward/Division: Ellacombe
Built-Up Area: Torquay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Torquay St John
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX9164 MARKET STREET
885-1/14/153 (East side)
10/01/75 Torquay Market
Pannier market. 1852 to the designs of John Tapley Harvey;
contractor Richard Gosling, for a private company. Front
altered in 1865 to incorporate shops. Alterations of 1909.
Local grey limestone rubble (now painted) on a rock-faced
plinth. Classical style.
PLAN: 12-bay market hall, divided axially by a central arcade
of cast-iron columns. Entrance from Market Street into long
side, further entrance at north from Albert Road.
EXTERIOR: Symmetrical 13-bay front to Market Street with a
central entrance, the outer 3 bays at each end slightly set
back. Bays divided by Doric pilasters, rising from plinth and
paired on either side of the main doorway and every 3 bays.
Round-headed doorway with vermiculated rustication and a
pedimented gable; pair of fine cast-iron gates with spear-head
finials and a band of roundels. Bays contain segmental-headed
openings with rusticated architraves, keystones and lunettes
with radial glazing bars to the heads. The right return
(Albert Road) has 2 pedimented gables with paired Doric
pilasters to left and right and 4 pilasters with moulded
capitals and an entablature in the centre. Segmental-headed
doorway to right-hand bay, similar doorway converted to window
to left bay. Road sign, blue tiles with white lettering, fixed
to wall: reads TORQUAY ALBERT ROAD.
INTERIOR: Cast-iron columns have pierced spandrels. King-post
roof truss have princess posts with struts. Struts to posts
iron, connected to timber rafters with shoes.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989:
Listing NGR: SX9160364145
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings