History in Structure

The Old Sessions House

A Grade II Listed Building in Torquay, Torbay

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.4682 / 50°28'5"N

Longitude: -3.5281 / 3°31'41"W

OS Eastings: 291649

OS Northings: 64268

OS Grid: SX916642

Mapcode National: GBR QV.WZ0Y

Mapcode Global: FRA 37HT.HB4

Plus Code: 9C2RFF9C+7Q

Entry Name: The Old Sessions House

Listing Date: 30 January 1981

Last Amended: 3 May 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1280077

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390534

ID on this website: 101280077

Location: Torquay, Torbay, Devon, TQ1

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Ellacombe

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Torquay

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Torquay St Mary Magdalene (Upton)

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in



885-1/14/64 (North side)
30/01/81 The Old Sessions House
(Formerly Listed as:
The Old Police Station)


Sessions House with police quarters and cells, now used as
shops. 1873-1876 to the designs of Harbottle, contractor WA
Goss (Ellis).
Local grey limestone rubble with a crazed finish with fine
joints; Bathstone and limestone ashlar dressings; slate roofs,
hipped and gabled with terracotta ridge tiles with pierced
cresting; stacks with stone shafts, corbelled cornices and
stone caps. Original rainwater goods with fleur-de-lis and
trefoil brackets. Eclectic Tudor style.
PLAN: Rectangular on plan overall; series of blocks built
round a central stable yard, later roofed over and converted
to fire station.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-bay front, the 3
right-hand bays with gables to the front. Two 2-centred
chamfered arched doorways on front, one to the right
preserving blind tracery in the overlight; second bay doorway
altered for shopfront. 2-light ground-floor windows with
central column. 3-light first-floor windows with stone
architraves, the 2 centre ones in a shallow oriel with a
crenellated parapet. Second-floor windows paired lancets with
drip moulds. The left-hand in a shallow gabled oriel on
brackets. The other elevations are in a similar style,
preserving most of the original windows and doors.
INTERIOR: Previous List description notes former court room
with carved stone corbels to arch-braced tie-beam roof;
seating removed. Cells with vaulted ceilings still intact,
notorious because John Lee, "the man they could not hang" was
kept there before his trial.
(Ellis AC: An Historical Survey of Torquay, 2nd edition:
1930-: P.320).

Listing NGR: SX9164964268

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.