This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4611 / 50°27'39"N
Longitude: -3.519 / 3°31'8"W
OS Eastings: 292275
OS Northings: 63460
OS Grid: SX922634
Mapcode National: GBR QX.3FG9
Mapcode Global: FRA 37JT.T16
Entry Name: St Vincent's House
Listing Date: 10 January 1975
Last Amended: 3 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206806
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390698
Location: Torbay, TQ1
Electoral Ward/Division: Wellswood
Built-Up Area: Torquay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Torquay St Matthias
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX9263 MEADFOOT ROAD
885-1/18/165 (North side)
10/01/75 St Vincent's House
(Formerly Listed as:
Villa, later developed as an hotel, now divided into flats.
c1830. Stuccoed and blocked out; slate roof; stacks with
rendered shafts with sunk panels and corbelled cornices on
moulded corbels, some original tapering pots.
PLAN: Rectangular double-depth main block, entrance on the
east side with a service block to the north-east.
EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys. Asymmetrical 5-window 2-storey
entrance front. Deep eaves; eaves band. Shallow projecting
stacks to left and right. Fine projecting open porch with
paired, fluted Ionic columns supporting an entablature with a
modillion frieze below the cornice. Parapet to porch with
sections of fine cast-iron balustrade with palmette and
anthemion decoration. Windows are 12-pane sashes except 9 over
12-pane stair window with margin panes and a stained glass
border. Left return 3-bay with eaves band and pilaster strips:
12-pane first-floor sashes and 18-pane ground floor sashes.
West elevation in a similar style with a 2-storey canted bay.
INTERIOR: Retains some original detail including Greek motifs
HISTORY: Joseph Marchetti ran the Queen's Hotel until c1833
when he moved here (then called Apsley House) and ran it as a
private hotel. In 1845 Queen Adelaide and suite stayed and in
1854 Marie Amelia, ex-queen of the French and her suite.
(Ellis CA: An Historical Survey of Torquay, 2nd edition:
Listing NGR: SX9227563460
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings