This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4614 / 50°27'40"N
Longitude: -3.5186 / 3°31'6"W
OS Eastings: 292309
OS Northings: 63493
OS Grid: SX923634
Mapcode National: GBR QX.37LL
Mapcode Global: FRA 37JT.T7J
Plus Code: 9C2RFF6J+GH
Entry Name: Former Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 3 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390848
Location: Torbay, TQ1
Electoral Ward/Division: Wellswood
Built-Up Area: Torquay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Torquay St Matthias
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX9263 TORWOOD GARDENS ROAD
885-1/18/278 (South side)
Former Church of St Andrew
Presbyterian church, later Christian Scientist church, now
youth club. 1862 (Pevsner). Local grey Torquay limestone with
freestone dressings; slate roofs.
PLAN: Rectangular on plan with central gabled porch block
facing Torwood Gardens and projecting tower alongside to
EXTERIOR: Partly obscured by scaffolding at time of survey.
Crow-stepped gables to main block, saddleback tower; porch
block and stepped gables to flying buttress. Show front has a
projecting gabled porch with a pair of shoulder arched
doorways with trefoil-pierced tympana and pierced trefoil in
gable. 3-light plate traceried window to main block above,
flanked by 2-light windows. Massive flying buttress to left of
main block with one-window bay beyond with angle buttresses, a
ground floor shoulder-headed window and an arched one-light
window above. Lean-to block between porch and flying buttress
with 2 shoulder-headed lights. 3-stage saddleback tower to
right with angle buttresses with one and 2-light windows, some
with cusped heads.
INTERIOR: 4 hammer-beam trusses with arch braces. Fittings
A striking design, prominently sited.
(Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon: London: 1952-1989:
Listing NGR: SX9230963493
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.