History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brunswick House (Former Brunswick Methodist Church)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Macclesfield, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2539 / 53°15'14"N

Longitude: -2.1229 / 2°7'22"W

OS Eastings: 391894

OS Northings: 372996

OS Grid: SJ918729

Mapcode National: GBR FZMT.58

Mapcode Global: WHBBP.CG9T

Entry Name: Brunswick House (Former Brunswick Methodist Church)

Listing Date: 17 March 1977

Last Amended: 28 October 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206897

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390937

Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire East, SK11

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Macclesfield

Built-Up Area: Macclesfield

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: St Barnabas Macclesfield

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Macclesfield

Listing Text


MACCLESFIELD

SJ9172SE CHAPEL STREET
886-1/8/37 (North side)
17/03/77 Brunswick House (former Brunswick
Methodist Church)
(Formerly Listed as:
CHAPEL STREET
(North side)
Brunswick Methodist Church)

GV II*

Methodist church, converted for use as offices. 1823, with
later C19 additions and C20 alterations. Brick with slate
roof.
High 2 storeys, 5-window range with 3 central bays advanced
and pedimented. Projecting entrance porch articulated by Doric
pilasters between 3 doors, the central door in bowed porch.
6-panelled doors with fanlights. Upper storey articulated by
pilasters to form arcade of round-arched windows with radial
glazing, the central window having a stressed stone
architrave. 'Wesleyan Methodist Chapel' inscribed on a stone
in the pediment. Moulded cornice continues across the 7-bay
return to Lord Street. 5-bay northern return, with pediment
over advanced central bays. Round-arched windows with red
brick dressings and continuous stone sills. Radial glazing.
INTERIOR has a gallery supported on fluted cast-iron Doric
columns with gallery front in form of Doric entablature.
Coffered ceiling. Wooden pews. Organ and pulpit of c1860.


Listing NGR: SJ9189472996

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.