This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2537 / 53°15'13"N
Longitude: -2.1237 / 2°7'25"W
OS Eastings: 391842
OS Northings: 372976
OS Grid: SJ918729
Mapcode National: GBR FZMT.0B
Mapcode Global: WHBBP.BGYZ
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 17 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206917
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390998
Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire East, SK11
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Macclesfield
Built-Up Area: Macclesfield
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: St Barnabas Macclesfield
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ9172 HIGH STREET
886-1/8/92 (East side)
17/03/77 Church of St George
Parish church. 1822-23, with later additions. Brick with stone
dressings and Welsh slate roof.
Classical style, with pedimented liturgical west front,
divided by pilasters into 3 bays. Stone portico with plain
entablature carried on Tuscan columns. Central paired entrance
doors with radial fanlights, separated by a single 16-pane
sash window. Central Venetian window in stone architrave above
in segmentally-arched recess beneath the gable apex.
Round-arched 30-pane sash windows with flat-arched gauged
brick heads in full-height segmentally-arched recesses each
side. Return elevations to (liturgical) north and south of 7
bays arcaded by giant pilasters. Round-arched upper windows
with radial glazing linked by continuous hoodmoulding, and
30-pane sash windows below. Eastern gable has central
segmentally-arched panel with lunettes each side. Chancel with
Venetian window a later addition, together with vestries to
north and south.
The church was built as a speculation and was originally
intended as a Congregational Church.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N and Hubbard, E.:
Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-).
Listing NGR: SJ9184272976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings