This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2631 / 53°15'47"N
Longitude: -2.1301 / 2°7'48"W
OS Eastings: 391418
OS Northings: 374014
OS Grid: SJ914740
Mapcode National: GBR FZKQ.M0
Mapcode Global: WHBBP.77XT
Entry Name: Kings School (Original Block)
Listing Date: 17 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206909
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390983
Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Macclesfield
Built-Up Area: Macclesfield
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: St Michael and All Angels, Macclesfield
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ97SW CUMBERLAND STREET
886-1/4/82 (North side)
17/03/77 King's School (original block)
School. 1854-6 with later extensions and alterations. Original
architect F Bellhouse. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar
dressings and slate roof.
Main school buildings comprise central full-height hall with
full-height class rooms as aisles to each side, the left-hand
gabled range a later addition dated 1886.
Entrance in gabled porch to right of main hall, which has
3-light mullioned and transomed tiered window. Dated and with
coat of arms in gable apex. Similar tiered window of 4-lights
in left hand gable, which has smaller gables in left hand
return. Right-hand range comprises a series of gables running
at right angles to the main range, also with tiered mullioned
and transomed windows.
Beyond the main range to the left and rear, the former
headmaster's house is probably a somewhat later addition,
though in a similar style. Apparently L-plan (the original
arrangement somewhat obscured by later additions), with 2
parallel gables projecting to the left, and doorway in angle.
Canted bay window in gable wall, and gabled porch (possibly
the original principal entrance) in the adjoining rear range.
INTERIOR: the main school buildings have been bisected with
inserted gallery floors, but retain the original roof
structure with tie beams and principal trusses carried on
cambered wall posts sprung from stone corbels. Traceried
timberwork above each tie beam.
Listing NGR: SJ9139973984
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings