This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2052 / 51°12'18"N
Longitude: -3.4789 / 3°28'44"W
OS Eastings: 296780
OS Northings: 146148
OS Grid: SS967461
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.48H2
Mapcode Global: VH5JY.NY6Z
Plus Code: 9C3R6G4C+3C
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 28 October 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207013
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391269
Location: Minehead, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA24
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Minehead
Built-Up Area: Minehead
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
SS9646 WELLINGTON SQUARE
900-1/3/112 (South side)
28/10/76 Church of St Andrew
Church. 1877-1880, by GE Street. Red sandstone with freestone
dressings and concrete tile roof. Aisled plan with chancel,
north porch and vestry. Free Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: Diagonal offset buttresses to corners of the nave.
The east gable end has 5-light window with reticulated
tracery. The north side has a 2-light window to the left of a
3-storey projecting gabled vestry with a stack to the left and
a bellcote with 2 trefoil-headed openings, corbelled out above
the north aisle which has 3 Decorated-style 2-light windows
with small clerestory lancet windows above. A projecting
gabled porch to the right has a pointed arch with finial over
planked doors with decorative strap hinges.
The west end has a rose window to the apex over 2 tall 2-light
Decorated-style windows flanking a central buttress. Similar
INTERIOR: the 3-bay nave has octagonal piers without capitals,
the arches dying into them; the intrados is smooth, the back
and front is corbelled out. Hammer-beam roof to the nave,
curved braces to the chancel, and exposed rafters to the
aisles. Polychromatic floor tiles, those to the chancel are
The fine 1889 medieval-style stained glass east window,
dedicated to Henry Luttrell, is by Kempe.
FITTINGS: the wrought-iron and brass lectern, in Art Nouveau
style, is dated 1903; the communion rail has fine wrought-iron
supports; Gothic stone pulpit and font; original pine pews
with shaped ends.
HISTORY: the church was erected and endowed at the cost of
Charlotte Ann, wife of the Rev AH Fownes Luttrell (vicar
1832-99) to whom the east window of 1888 is a memorial. The
tower, planned to stand at the south-west (ritual east) end
was not built.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset:
London: 1958-: 241).
Listing NGR: SS9678046148
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings