This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9058 / 54°54'20"N
Longitude: -1.3881 / 1°23'16"W
OS Eastings: 439335
OS Northings: 556953
OS Grid: NZ393569
Mapcode National: GBR VBS.83
Mapcode Global: WHD55.NY7K
Entry Name: Mowbray Almshouses Forecourt Walls and Piers
Listing Date: 10 November 1978
Last Amended: 17 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207067
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391417
Location: Sunderland, SR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Millfield
Built-Up Area: Sunderland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Millfield St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ3956NW CHURCH LANE
920-1/19/40 (East side)
10/11/78 Nos.1-4 (Consecutive)
Mowbray Almshouses forecourt walls
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Forecourt wall, piers and railings
to Mowbray Almshouses)
Almshouses with forecourt walls and piers. Rebuilt 1863. By ER
Robson. For Elizabeth Gray Mowbray. Forecourt walls altered
c1980. Thin courses of squared sandstone rubble with ashlar
plinth and dressings; Welsh slate roof with red ridge tiles.
Walls and piers similar stone. L-plan building with forecourt
walls forming other 2 sides of square. Gothic style.
Almshouses: 2 storeys, 4 houses each with 3 windows. Each
house has boarded central door, that to No.2 in canted angle
bay, in pointed arch with irregular block jambs, under 2-light
stone-mullioned window with tracery. Bays flanking doors have
2-light windows, those on first floor with plate tracery in
pointed-arched surrounds, in full height pointed-arched panels
set in gabled projections breaking eaves. Floor string. Gables
have stone copings and clove finials. Steeply pitched roof has
tall ashlar ridge chimneys with shallow buttresses. Left
return gable has irregularly-stepped chimney-stack with
head-stopped dripmould over Latin inscription commemorating
foundation by John Mowbray in 1727 and rebuilding for
Elizabeth Gray Mowbray in 1863. Right return gable has
external chimney-stack with the Mowbray lion in low relief
under dripmould with flower stops and fleur-de-lys finial.
Forecourt walls attached, partly rebuilt and with renewed
plain railings, have ashlar plinth and coping; square gate
piers have renewed coping; intermediate pier rising from wall
has Gothic coping.
Listing NGR: NZ3933556953
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings