History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bethesda Free Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Hendon, Sunderland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9041 / 54°54'14"N

Longitude: -1.3764 / 1°22'35"W

OS Eastings: 440084

OS Northings: 556778

OS Grid: NZ400567

Mapcode National: GBR VDJ.41

Mapcode Global: WHD55.TZRT

Entry Name: Bethesda Free Church

Listing Date: 10 November 1978

Last Amended: 17 October 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207137

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391609

Location: Sunderland, SR1

County: Sunderland

Electoral Ward/Division: Hendon

Built-Up Area: Sunderland

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Hendon

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Sunderland

Listing Text


SUNDERLAND

NZ4056 TATHAM STREET
920-1/14/217 (West side)
10/11/78 Bethesda Free Church
(Formerly Listed as:
TATHAM STREET
(West side)
Bethesda Chapel)

GV II

Bethesda Free Chapel, now known as Bethesda Free Church.
1844-5; side galleries 1852. For AA Rees. Dated 1844 in
pediment. Garden wall bond brick (5 and one) and limestone
rubble returns, rendered rear, with ashlar sandstone plinth
and painted ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof.
EXTERIOR: ritual west to street has 2 stories; 3 windows and
set-back sides. Pedimented centre has recessed central bay
with steps up to 6-panelled double door and 2-pane overlight
recessed under cornice on scroll brackets; renewed window
above has shallow segmental head in wedge stone lintel, and
projecting stone sill. Similar windows in flanking bays which
project slightly, all 3 bays under pediment and a bracketed
top panel with low relief BETHESDA/FREE CHAPEL filling the
centre; panel in pediment has 1844 in low relief letters.
Flanking set back section blank with prominent eaves cornice
and blocking course.
INTERIOR shows fluted iron columns, mostly now cased-in,
supporting gallery round 3 sides. Baptismal pool. Memorial to
AA Rees d.1884. Pews renewed.
Building paid for by the minister who established it, Arthur
Augustus Rees, on land bought from a local Quaker family,
Cable Wilson.
(Brockie W: Memoirs of Arthur Augustus Rees(Information from
Mr. E Turner): 1884-).


Listing NGR: NZ4008456778

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.