This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9012 / 54°54'4"N
Longitude: -1.3782 / 1°22'41"W
OS Eastings: 439972
OS Northings: 556450
OS Grid: NZ399564
Mapcode National: GBR VD7.K0
Mapcode Global: WHD5C.S2XH
Plus Code: 9C6WWJ2C+FP
Entry Name: Former South Lodge to Mowbray Park
Listing Date: 17 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207143
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391626
Location: Sunderland, SR2
Electoral Ward/Division: Hendon
Built-Up Area: Sunderland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Hendon
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ3956SE TOWARD ROAD
920-1/22/224 (West side)
Former south lodge to Mowbray Park
Lodge to Mowbray Park, now disused. Dated 1856. Building
contractor W. Scott. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar
dressings including projecting quoins; roof of Welsh slate
with fishscale bands and stone gable copings, limestone and
ashlar chimneys. Tudor style, irregular plan.
EXTERIOR: one storey, 1 window on S elevation facing drive
with gabled left wing breaking forward and projecting gabled
porch at right. Stepped stone voussoirs, with date 1856
incised in keystone, and alternate block jambs to chamfered
Tudor-arched door in porch with bargeboards. Alternate block
jambs to window at left in stone surround. Right return facing
Toward Road has stone mullioned and transomed 3-light window,
the central light higher, and Borough arms on stone plaque in
gable peak; set-back right wing on this elevation has 2-pitch
roof over stone mullion 2-light window. Projecting quoins.
Roof has bands of fishscale decoration, bargeboards on all
gables, and ashlar-corniced ridge chimney.
Mowbray Park is on Building Hill whence stone was quarried for
many of Sunderland's buildings. The Corporation purchased it
from the Mowbray family for »2,000 in 1854, the grounds were
laid out by the Marquis of Londonderry's gardener, Lawson, and
the park was opened in 1857. Windows and doors blocked and
building derelict at time of survey.
(Corfe T: The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914: Newcastle:
Listing NGR: NZ3997256450
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings