This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1439 / 53°8'37"N
Longitude: -1.1968 / 1°11'48"W
OS Eastings: 453824
OS Northings: 361046
OS Grid: SK538610
Mapcode National: GBR 8F5.XZD
Mapcode Global: WHDFZ.L7BP
Plus Code: 9C5W4RV3+G7
Entry Name: The Old Town Hall and Attached Piers and Railings
Listing Date: 17 March 1978
Last Amended: 21 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207179
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391728
Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG18
Electoral Ward/Division: Portland
Built-Up Area: Mansfield
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Mansfield St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5361 MARKET PLACE
924-1/5/66 (South West side)
17/03/78 The Old Town Hall and attached piers
(Formerly Listed as:
Former town hall, now offices, and area wall. 1836, with mid
C20 alterations. By William Adams Nicholson of Lincoln. Ashlar
with hipped slate roofs and various stacks. Greek Revival
Plinth, rusticated ground floor, string course, cornice and
blocking course. 2 storeys plus basement; 3 x 4 windows.
Windows are mainly 12-pane sashes of various sizes.
Front has projecting central bay with a single window and
above it, a raised parapet with a clock face on scrolls in a
central panel. On either side, single windows. All these
windows have projecting surrounds and cornices on consoles.
Below, a tetrastyle Greek Doric portico with full entablature,
covering a central glazed double door flanked by 4-pane
windows with overlights. On either side, a single window.
Outside, central steps flanked by a spiked railing with square
ashlar piers and flat caps. At either end, steps to the
Returns have a single first-floor window with projecting
surround and cornice on consoles. Below, a shallow square bay
window with pilasters and tripartite sash.
Set back rear ranges have 3 first-floor windows with linked
cornice and recessed panels below. Below, left return has 3
windows. Right return has, to left, a recessed door with a
recessed panel and a small 9-pane window above it. To its
right, a small window, then two 12-pane windows. Beyond, to
right, a coped yard wall, with 2 doors to left, and 2 small
windows to right. To right again, a 3-storey rear range with a
coped ridge stack. Single windows on the upper floors, and
below, a blocked carriage entrance with wooden lintel and
inserted small casement.
INTERIOR has entrance hall with plaster wall panels and cross
beam carried on 2 Doric columns. Stairwell has moulded cross
beam ceiling with skylight and good quality dogleg staircase
with turned wooden balusters. Both rooms have moulded
doorcases and fielded 4-panel doors.
Transverse council chamber has guilloche frieze, moulded
cornice and panelled ceiling with rosettes. Windows have
enriched surrounds and cornices on consoles. Central entrance
has panelled recess, moulded surround and cornice on consoles,
with panelled double doors. On either side, a smaller single
door with similar surround. Fittings include a panelled wooden
war memorial, c1920.
Ante room has enriched cornice and plain marble fireplace.
Front ground-floor rooms have moulded cornices and mid C20
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E:
Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 171).
Listing NGR: SK5382461046
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings