This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1447 / 53°8'40"N
Longitude: -1.1998 / 1°11'59"W
OS Eastings: 453617
OS Northings: 361140
OS Grid: SK536611
Mapcode National: GBR 8F5.X1Q
Mapcode Global: WHDFZ.J7V1
Entry Name: The Old Meeting House
Listing Date: 19 December 1955
Last Amended: 21 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207181
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391732
Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG18
Electoral Ward/Division: Woodlands
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Mansfield
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Mansfield St John with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5361 MILL WALK
924-1/5/74 The Old Meeting House
(Formerly Listed as:
Unitarian church. 1702, with alterations and additions 1870,
1882 and c1930. Coursed rubble and ashlar, with ashlar
dressings and hipped slate roof. C20 concrete porch. Plinth
and quoins to main block.
Square main block, 2 storeys; 4-window range. Front has 4
single-light windows with leaded glazing. Below, 4 tall
single-light transomed windows, the central ones partly
covered by porch. Porch has plinth, cornice and coped parapet.
Rebated central doorway with hood and double doors, flanked by
single narrow windows. At either end, a single window. Each
side of main block has 4 stone mullioned cross casements.
Rear, now chancel, has a moulded round window flanked by
single stone-mullioned cross casements. East side has to right
a hipped projection with a single stone mullioned window, and
a round-arched door in the return angle. Side wall stack.
At the north-west corner, a hipped addition with a C19 board
door flanked to right by a single-light transomed window.
INTERIOR has shallow chancel with 2 moulded round arches on a
square wooden post with moulded capital. Panelled ceiling with
roundels. Single round arch at each end, that to left
containing organ. In the centre, 2 gabled round-headed niches
containing inscribed tablets, surrounded by a wrought-iron
railing and flanked by stained-glass windows, 1892, by Swaine
Main space has central lengthwise arcade with 3 round arches
springing from the chancel arcade, with similar square wooden
columns. Panelled cross beam ceiling with brackets. Panelled
dado. At the rear, 2 plain round-headed doors with pedimented
wooden doorcases, linked by panelled frieze. Side windows have
stained glass, 3 of the windows by Morris & Co., 1913, 1928
and 1929. Others late C19, early and mid C20.
Porch has plywood panelling and 3-bay ceiling with round
FITTINGS: C18 octagonal oak pulpit with fielded panels, and
C18 Parliament clock by Thomas Haley of Norwich. Late C19
choir stalls and benches.
MEMORIALS: small C19 and C20 tablets, one of them to William
Hollins of Pleasley Vale, a major benefactor of this church,
and manufacturer of Viyella fabric.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E:
Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 169).
Listing NGR: SK5360461143
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings