This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.14 / 53°8'24"N
Longitude: -1.1955 / 1°11'43"W
OS Eastings: 453915
OS Northings: 360619
OS Grid: SK539606
Mapcode National: GBR 8FC.4LC
Mapcode Global: WHDFZ.LBYN
Plus Code: 9C5W4RR3+2R
Entry Name: Former Cattle Market Building and Attached Gates
Listing Date: 6 January 1989
Last Amended: 21 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207182
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391736
Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG18
Electoral Ward/Division: Portland
Built-Up Area: Mansfield
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Mansfield St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5360 NOTTINGHAM ROAD
924-1/7/75 (East side)
Former cattle market building and
(Formerly Listed as:
Cattle Market Building and attached
Former cattle market building and attached gates. Dated 1877.
By Watson Fothergill of Nottingham. Red brick with blue brick
and ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped plain tile roofs
with decorative ridge tiles. Single panelled brick ridge
stack. Chamfered rock-faced stone plinth, moulded brick eaves.
2 storeys; 4-window range. Central block with recessed centre
flanked by gabled and hipped wings.
In the centre, two 2-light mullioned windows, the left one
without its mullion. Below, a lean-to porch between the wings,
with a doorway to left with double doors, and 2 small square
windows to right. Gabled left wing has a large 3-light cross
mullion window with decorative relieving arch. To its left, a
lean-to porch with single window, and plank door under a hood.
Left return has 2 small windows. Hipped right wing has a
hipped oriel window on corbels, with a 3-light mullion window.
Below, a drinking fountain with a single lancet above, and to
right, a plank door with shouldered arch.
Right return, to Nottingham Road, has projecting rock-faced
stone ground floor. To right, a round corner tower with
machicolated eaves and conical roof topped with a wind vane.
Ground floor has central 3-light stone cross casement flanked
to right by a small 2-light window and to left by a panelled
door with door and shouldered ashlar surround.
Attached to the north-west corner, a pair of chamfered square
ashlar gate piers with chamfered octagonal caps and a pair of
ornate wrought-iron gates, made by The Meadow Foundry Co Ltd,
Attached gates listed 10.1.89.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E:
Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 171).
Listing NGR: SK5391560619
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings