History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mark and Attached Boundary Wall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1385 / 53°8'18"N

Longitude: -1.1977 / 1°11'51"W

OS Eastings: 453770

OS Northings: 360448

OS Grid: SK537604

Mapcode National: GBR 8FC.B08

Mapcode Global: WHDFZ.KCWT

Plus Code: 9C5W4RQ2+9W

Entry Name: Church of St Mark and Attached Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 21 March 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1214953

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391739

Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG18

County: Nottinghamshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Portland

Built-Up Area: Mansfield

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Mansfield St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Mansfield

Description


MANSFIELD

SK5360 NOTTINGHAM ROAD
924-1/7/89 (West side)
Church of St Mark and attached
boundary wall

GV II*

Parish church. 1897. By Temple Moore. Uncoursed ashlar, with
ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Perpendicular Revival
style. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, eastern vestry
and sacristy, south east tower, northern lady chapel,
transverse west porch.
Buttressed nave has at the east end a 5-light pointed arch
window with Decorated tracery, and at the west end a simpler
4-light window, both with hoodmoulds and stops. South side has
4 segmental pointed arch 3-light windows, and north side has 3
similar windows.
Triple gabled vestry, to east, has buttresses and 3 narrow
2-light windows. To south, a single lancet, and to north, a
shouldered doorway.
Square south-east tower, 2 stages, has battered plinth, string
courses, and crenellated parapet. Square stair turret to east.
Lower stage has, to south, 2 small windows one above the
other. Bell stage has a small square headed 2-light bell
opening on each side, with stone mullion.
Gabled lady chapel has a single buttress on the north side,
flanked to east by a small double lancet and to west by a much
larger 4-light pointed arch window. East end has 3 small loops
with louvres. West end has a 2-light point arch window with
hoodmould and stops.
Nave west end has a lean-to porch with 4 tall buttresses to
west, and the end walls projecting. 5 small traceried 2-light
pointed arch windows. North and south ends have sloped coping
below the gable, and a central chamfered pointed arched door
with hoodmould, flanked by single small lancets.
INTERIOR: 5-bay arcades with square ashlar piers and rendered
plain pointed arches, with lower inner arches. Narrow side
passages with round arches. Close boarded roof with moulded
arch braces, corbels and wall plate.
East end has a screen wall with wide central pier flanked by
single pointed arches with traceried wooden screens. Chancel
arcades have similar screens. Stained-glass east window
probably by Kempe. North-east and south-east windows have
stained glass c1920 and c1890.
West end has screen wall with central octagonal pier flanked
by large pointed arches. Plain west window.
Vestry and sacristy have dividing arches springing from the
screen wall, and side passages with small stained-glass
windows, 1904 and 1965.
2 east windows have stained glass, 1907, and the central
window has fragments of medieval glass.
Lady chapel has panelled dado and panelled wooden reredos with
text. Wooden aumbry and ogee-headed piscina. West end has
wooden sedilia. West window has stained glass, 1927, and north
windows have stained glass 1922 and late C20.
West porch has lean-to roof with arch braces and corbels.
Canted internal porch at each end. To west, stained-glass
windows, 1916 and 1917, probably by Kempe, and others mid C20.
FITTINGS: altar, reredos, crucifix and canopy, probably by
Leslie Moore. Inscribed octagonal panelled font, traceried
octagonal wooden pulpit, good quality brass eagle lectern,
traceried stalls and sedilia, all C19. Chairs throughout.
MEMORIALS: wooden war memorial plaque, c1918.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached boundary wall to south, coursed
squared stone with ramped half-round coping. Pair of square
gate piers with square domed caps.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E:
Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 169).


Listing NGR: SK5377060448


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.