History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7689 / 53°46'7"N

Longitude: -2.7359 / 2°44'9"W

OS Eastings: 351589

OS Northings: 430531

OS Grid: SD515305

Mapcode National: GBR T4B.MV

Mapcode Global: WH85L.YJBK

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 27 September 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207244

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391905

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR2

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Ashton

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Ashton-on-Ribble St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD53SW BLACKPOOL ROAD, Ashton On Ribble
941-1/1/309 (South side)
27/09/79 Church of St Andrew

GV II

Parish church of Ashton-on-Ribble. 1836, enlarged and altered
1873-4 by Ewan Christian, vestry added 1902. Coursed squared
sandstone, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, small west tower; wide
north aisle added 1874, north organ house dated 1874 on
rainwater head; vestry beyond this dated 1902 similarly.
Romanesque tower, otherwise simple Early English style. Square
3-stage tower with clasping buttresses to 1st stage, set-back
belfry stage, and short broach spire; 2 round-headed lancets
to the 1st stage, one similar but larger window to the 2nd
stage, with a hoodmould, and triple round-headed louvred
lancets to the belfry. Nave, 4 bays, with buttresses (except
at corners), has 2-centred arched windows with hoodmoulds and
simple plate-tracery, all 2 lights except that in wider east
bay which has 3 lights. North aisle in matching style, with
gabled porch to west bay.
INTERIOR: nave and aisle have arch-braced king-post roofs with
curved struts; round-headed tower arch; 4-bay aisle arcade
with stout cylindrical piers of polished pink granite carrying
low 2-centred double-chamfered arches; chancel arch similar
but larger, and with semi-columns of polished granite; chancel
with sedilia, north arch to organ house, and wagon roof. Good
wall monuments to various members of the Pedder family of
Ashton Lodge (Pedder Lane, q.v.), including: Jane Pedder
(d.1838), wall tablet surmounted by draped urn; James Pedder
(d.1846), large monument with white tablet in sarcophagus form
surmounted by woman weeping over broken Corinthian column
(both these by C.Lewis of Cheltenham); Captain Thomas Pedder
(d.1858), a white marble relief with sarcophagus flanked by
military weepers and with inscription recording that he died
of sunstroke after participating in the Relief of Lucknow
during the Indian Mutiny (by H.Weekes); Richard Newsham Pedder
of 8th Irish Hussars, (d.Calcutta 1863), wall tablet
surmounted by trophies, helmets etc; also Herbert Davies
M.B.,CH.B. (d.1900) in Orange River Colony, of dysentery,
while serving as civil surgeon in Transvaal War, wall tablet
with profile in relief.


Listing NGR: SD5158930531

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.